1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Wastegates

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Apollo, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Apollo

Hi guys could I bypass/ render useless an internal wastegate by setting it to max psi and use an external one by setting it to say 5 psi? Thanks. And I've seen rules being posted lmk if this seems improper.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  2. Mnlx

You can leave the internal gate, it's spring loaded closed, and as long as your external is set to open at an equal or lesser pressure you're fine.

Apollo and B E N like this.
  3. B E N

Its also common to pin or tack weld them shut if your trying to exceed rated pressure.

Apollo likes this.
  4. Apollo

Yea that's what I think is most common. My goal is to leave the turbo as uncompromised as possible, if possible. I've just never heard of someone doing this. And thanks for the reply

5. Apollo

Thanks for the info and reply. I had a young tuner, who seemed inexperienced and honestly a jerk tell me it couldn't work but I couldn't see how it wouldn't in theory so thought I'd get a second more knowledgeable opinion. appreciate the reassurance. If there is anything I can help u with lmk.

6. Apollo

Thanks

7. Apollo

I was also told internal wastegates aren't any good, which is why I was looking into getting an external, and the sound lol. I've never used an internal myself. Have you guys used any and what do you 5h8nk about them? I'm doing a twin turbo v6 mustang, 2004. Not trying for big boost or the track just fun during this pandemic.

8. Mnlx

Internals are fine as long as they flow enough to control boost to your desired level. Lack of flow is one complaint about them. Also, if you leave the internal un-referenced, it won't "blow" open very easily. I think most weld them to get rid of the linkage and it makes clocking the turbo much easier.

Apollo likes this.
  9. Disney Lincoln

weld shut, or make a solid spacer to keep the from opening by backpressure. I used twin internal WG turbos on my first build and it worked great. I think to get the benefit of the external WG, you would need to replace the turbine housing anyways as most internal WG housings are not very flow friendly.

Apollo likes this.