1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Full Ceramic Ball Bearings

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by RONVROD, Dec 27, 2018.

1. RONVROD

I have only found two sites that have full ceramic ball bearing cartridges. Is that a sign that the concept doesn't offer any advantage over ceramic balls in steel races?

I almost hate to ask these questions but I have a rock guard on my screen.

Are the $150.00 turbochargers on eBay anything other than JUNK?
    I see several sellers on Alibaba that offer Garrett turbochargers. Are Garrett turbos built in China?

2. PEARL MUSSIN

I run on 3 T-70s , work great. Journal bearing..

RONVROD likes this.
  3. Bad Medicine Racing

Genuine Garrett units are USA made.

RONVROD likes this.
  4. RONVROD

My application is a motorcycle so I cannot cool the head with coolant. I have been told that steel bearings can't handle the heat and hybrid bearings are marginal.

5. Cmoses

All the reading I have done its ceramic bearings or journal are one of the best ones. What are u installing it on?

6. Pro-SC

Most turbos are installed without using the water cooling even if the turbo is so equipped. The heat that journal bearing turbos withstand is taken care of with a good oiling system, including the drain. The Borg s480 that is popular with a lot of people and is an oem installed journal bearing turbo on some John Deere tractor Diesel engines, these produce a lot of heat and are not cooled with coolant. Big truck diesels are the same no coolant used and as far as I know journal bearing too. Not sure what bike guys use but I would not be concerned if the turbo is run with out coolant. Turbonetics still has the water coolant setup on there ceramic ball bearing turbos, never see people using that though, at least not very often. Maybe heat is not the exact word but with proper lubrication, I can’t see it being a problem. Hopefully somebody will chime in with experience with small engines. There are a couple of turbo sled guys on here, whatever they use should work for you.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  7. Cmoses

I read somewhere on a bike forum I follow they like to bbn use the ko4 or ko4 turbos. The size off of some audi's Volvo just have find one uses oil only. I have a 08 zx10 I though if turboing but I definitely hurt myself lol.

8. Mnlx

I can't help with the bearing question, but the reason for the water cooling is the reduced amount of oil needed to lubricate a bb turbo. The large volume of oil needed for a journal bearing is also a major heat transfer medium. That being said, many don't run the water cooling on them, but you'd want to make sure you have a good drain, and don't restrict the oil any more than you have to.

RONVROD and Pro-SC like this.
  9. RONVROD

I thank all of you for taking the time to share your knowledge. One more question and then I'll stop pestering you. It is said that a turbocharger with steel or hybrid ball bearings spools faster than a turbocharger with a journal bearing. Is that speculation or a proven fact?

10. Mnlx

Im sure there is documentation out there, but as first hand experience on liked sized turbos, a bb spools qicker/sooner. Whether its enough to make a huge difference, is dependent on the build.

RONVROD likes this.