1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

FUEL SYSTEM FOR TURBO CAR WITH SUMPED TANK QUESTION

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by firebird69turbo, Apr 16, 2012.

1. firebird69turbo

HI guys, i have a question regarding fuel system with a stock sumped tank, car in question is a 1969 firebird, 400 cid with a 82mm garrett turbo charger now, with blowthrough carb, i seeing lots of mustangs running their sumped tanks, the car has 2 -8an lines on sump, can i connect this 2 lines to a y block then, (1) 12an to filter, (1) 12an to pump and 10an to regulator, also i need to run a return line, can i add a bulk head (8an) or (10an) on the tank for the return? and how reliable this will be for a 600+ hp on the street??...i dont want my motor to starve from fuel problem, can you guys post pics please..thanks

IMG_1537.JPG #ad

2. ewoogy

The way you have it listed will work just fine and you can just go with an 8an for the return line, no need for a 10an.

3. firebird69turbo

thanks for your imput, i already have a 10 gal fuel cell with 12an outlets, but i dont really want to install nothing in the trunk, just the battery & some tools and thats it, may be i will switch to cell later on.....

4. schmuckingham

I can't remember if your pump is supposed to sit higher or lower than the sump, but I would check into that and if it's ok your setup sounds good. You could always modify the original hat for a cleaner looking return instead of drilling holes in a perfectly good tank.

5. ricky

its best for the pump to sit lower than the sump..if possible..if not possible,try and mount the pump as low as you can,without getting in the way of anything else..

most electric pumps are not dessigned to have to draw alot of fuel..they are mostly designed to push it

6. ewoogy

X2⬆. Lower than sump is preferred.

7. firebird69turbo

thanks i was thinking the same, i already have that figure out, but since i am running the aeromotive a1000 pump it needs a return and i need to figure how to run that fuel line...

8. Zacharyx

with a carb set up I would use the larger return to keep pressure down

9. 94sleeperstang

On my turbo 94 mustang, I have my factory tank sumped, then goes to 10an to 100 micron pre filter to a1000 pump, 10 an to a boost refrenced a1000 regulator, 6an to csu carb bowls, 8an to the top of the tank and used a 8an bulkhead fitting fitted to the tank, upgraded the vent on my tank so I dont get any vaccume in the tank whatsoever. To make it look nice and stop from rusting, I wire brushed the whole tank and sprayed 3m rubberized undercoating on it and layed it on extra thick.

sumped tank.jpg #ad

10. Sleeper T-Bird 87

In my maverick i run Sumped 20 gallon 69 mustang tank (large homemade baffled sump with 3/4 npt outlets) -12 line to filter into a A2000 aeromtive -12 to a2000 regulator -8 to both bowls and a -8 return . Before i was having fueling issues at the top end of the track with a 4309 regulator and A1000 pump. Im hoping what i have now will take us to 1000rwhp on e85 when i switch from 93

11. firebird69turbo

i hear alot of guys recommend a 10an for return to keep the a1000 pump cool, i see you running the 8an, isnt the pump overheat or it should be ok?

12. PEARL MUSSIN

I run the following in my 89Mustang with a sumped tank and blowthru carb.

-12 from sump to filter/pump (magnafuel 500), -10 to reg, -8 to each bowl, -10 return to the tank.

13. 94sleeperstang

I used the Areomitive A1000 pump and regulator as stated above but why do such big return and carb feed lines? I don't know what regulator your using or how it looks under the return fitting but my Areomotive A1000 regulator had a 1/4" hole on the return port but still accepts a 8an o-ringed fitting so thats why I did a 8an return on my set up. Heres the link to the Aremotive A1000 13204 regulator I have. Click the link and then click "360 view" and stop it when it spins around to the bottom and look at the return port and you can see the 1/4" hole im talkin about. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEI-13204/ As for the carb feed, I went with 6an since you dont need anything bigger than 6an because a carbrators fuel supply is dependant on the needle and seat size. That is why engines making well over the 1200 hp range will run a dual needle and seat bowl on the front and back of the carb. A typical blow through carb needle and seat might be 0.150-0.160 (thousanths of an inch) and 6an is eqivalant to 3/8" which is 0.375 (thousanths of an inch). So 6an is over double what the needle and seat is. :2thumbs:

14. PEARL MUSSIN

You can never have a too big return, Ive seen too small return cause issues with keeping the fuel pressure down. As far as the -8 feeding the carb, I guess I decided to go overkill with the fuel system. Do it once, do it right.

Jeremy

15. 94sleeperstang

When I first went carbed and was naturally aspirated, I used a $20 dead head regulator and had a problem getting any fuel pressure. I used all 3/8" rubber hose with a holly black pump and a canister filter rated at 90 gph. I had to crank the screw down pretty low. Im talkin like screwed down just above the jam nut. Then when I would rev the car, it would drop fuel pressure from 7 psi to 3psi. I thought the regulator was bad so I bought a new one and it did the exact same thing and every thing els was new. I called Moroso which was the brand of the dead head regulator I bought and they told me to go bigger on the return. So I went to 1/2" and then it got real bad to the point where I had to take the jam nut off and turn the adjustment screw below the top of the unit and wouldn't get any fuel pressure till it was a 1/4 turn from bottoming out and going straight to peak psi of the fuel pump which I think was 9 psi or something but then the carb wouldn't get any fuel. I ended up going back to a 3/8" return and used a temporary fix with a zip tie around the return hose pulled tight with a couple extra clicks as a reducer then put a really small reducer fitting for the return later on. In that case, the bigger return line was not better. I ended up going to a aremotive regulator and never had the problem again. Those dead head regulators SUCK!

16. PEARL MUSSIN

Im running an A2000 regulator.

17. firebird69turbo

i decided to buy a new gas tank from GLENS TANKS, this tanks are rated at 500-1500hp. it came with (2) 12an outlets and a 10an return right on top, so i am going to be running a 12an from tank to filter and A1000 aero pump, 10an feed to regulator and 10an return to tank, i am much happier with my new set up

18. mnm99

Good choice...I have one from glenns. I could run down to E and still have no problems. Make sure you vent it though. 1/2" would be a good size.

19. firebird69turbo

HERE ARE SOME IMAGES OF THE FUEL TANK, PUMP AND LINES..

IMG_1863.JPG #ad

IMG_1862.JPG #ad

20. blown385

What is the small line on the sump ?