1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Inner fenders

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Inline Adam, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Inline Adam

BB86D365-74DD-4E63-8769-A40DC6CFBC9B.jpeg #ad
    So, I have a bit of a cooling issue with my 55...
    With the SBC and original rad, with mechanical fan... 190* all day!
    Swap to the turbocharged inline 6... overheating.
    Put a, literal, NASCAR rad in with dual electric fans... runs hot.
    I added a hood vent... thinking that the air will escape through the holes in the hood.
    Now, there are no inner fenders... so, I’m thinking that the air is splitting off the front of the car and swirling in through the open wheel wells, forcing the hot air toward the rad. That is why I added the hood vent.
    The vent alone dropped the engine temp 20*!

Is my thought logical on the inner fenders? Should I put them in? It’s a lot of work that I don’t want to do... especially if it isn’t the right path!

2. B E N

If you have the fans set up properly with the shrouds in place and sealed I cant imagine it being an issue. Is there a chance you got the wrong rotation water pump in this thing?

3. 91turboterror

not Enough timing? Too lean? Let’s see a picture of the engine bay.

4. Inline Adam

C868D535-DD67-469A-BF1B-F59E5B2B2F23.jpeg #ad
    It’s pretty fat on af ratio... idle 13.8, cruise 13.3-5, wot 11.8-12.2
    Timing is 42* all in, with 15* pulled out by the BTM.
    I don’t have a pic with the new rad... but, it’s considerably larger and aluminum.

5. Disney Lincoln

is fan shrouded to radiator?

6. Inline Adam

The fans are directly on the rad. No shroud. I couldn’t figure out how to make a shroud to fit my space.

7. Disney Lincoln

Push or pull? Are they moving air in the correct direction?

8. Inline Adam

Pull. And they move a lot of air (in the correct direction )

9. Disney Lincoln

Then the only reason you aren't cooling while driving would be that you're building up a high pressure area behind the core support. You can try to seal off the core support from air getting around the radiator, or like you're thinking, figure out some inner fenders. I agree it looks like it would be a bitch. I might would make some out of cardboard first as proof of concept.

10. Inline Adam

Think I’m just going to pull up my socks and install the inner fenders that I have. Not really what I wanted to do... but, I need to be able to drive the car!!