1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

spark blowout/too rich what you guys running?

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by Stzang, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Stzang

I'm running TR6's at .028 gap. I've been running way fat (10.2-11.1 afr) while tuning at 7psi. cranked car to 10psi and still good. Tried higher and at 12psi it felt like a hard rev limiter. Just hit a wall til I let off gas. Afr's still in 10.8 or so and it's been cold here, iat's around 55-60deg. Now today it's hitting that wall at 10psi around 4k rpms. I'm assuming my plugs may be slightly fouled and I may need to close the gap some to maybe .022"

What are you guys running for plugs and gap on stock ignition for pump gas tune with a goal of 16psi??

2. Turbo98

What ignition set-up do you have?

3. exhausted

I have BR7EF's gapped at .024. They were fine at 16.5#'s and pump gas, but when we tried to turn up the boost on Meth, it was blowing out at 22#'s and 10.2-10.5AFR.
    Bought new Coil packs from Ford Racing for $225, and added a BAS and it lit fine all the way to 29#'s and 991hp.

4. juiced46

Just throwing it out there, are you sure the wideband is dead accurate and you arent running richer then what its showing? It shouldnt blow it out @ that psi with TR6s gapped @ .028 and .022"is way to low for 12#s. Ive ran TR6s up to 25psi with zero issues @.028. Now I run BR7EFs @ .025 with a max boost of 27psi, 10.2-10.5 afr on meth with zero blowout. Stock ignition.

5. Stzang

I'm running stock ignition. Coils have 60k on them. I do know the WB only shows to 10.0 afr so it's possible I was richer at times while tuning.

6. Turbo98

2V, 3V, or 4V? Coil packs or COP?

7. Stzang

they're 2v cops. Would partially fouled plugs cause easier blowout? Not only was it rich but I had a coolant issue and pulled thermostat then weather changed and car was overcooling to 130ish deg. Prob didn't help with TR6's being such a cool plug anyways. Got thermostat housing setup so that's not an issue.

8. exhausted

TR6's arent that cool. They are only one step cooler than stock. I never had an issue with them when I used to run them at 20#'s.

9. Stzang

Oh, I thought they were 2-3 steps cooler. Heater core blew last night so haven't had a chance to pull plugs yet. Prob have to wait til this weekend. fml...

10. jmstekguy

if the af's are to rich during cruise and wot they will eventually foul and cause a misfire, i have seen this countless times on the dyno, and cop's are always blamed...new plugs and clean up the tune before spending the money on cops imo

11. Stzang

Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do this weekend and see how it goes.

12. GoldenHP

i tried they br73f gap set at .28 on my dohc 5.4 with flatops and my motor hated them anything over 3 psi it would blow them out. So I went back to tr6s and run a gap at bout the same and my car has no problems expect traction

13. 97_Cobra

ive had a lot better luck with autolite ar94's. the tr6 and tr7 didnt like race gas and higher boost with my set up, the ar94s fixed the problem. yes partially fouled plugs wont light.

14. Stzang

Changed plugs this weekend. I thought I gapped the old ones pretty tight but they were all at .032. Not too fouled but definitely not running stoich. Didn't have a chance to fire it up and drive it yet so I'll see what happens. I'll try the ar94's if this doesn't work well.