1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

fuel pump position question

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by 1968turbostang, May 28, 2010.

1. 1968turbostang

As the screen name would indicate i have a 1968 mustang coupe, a friend gave me a fuel cell when he went back to a stock tank on his Camaro. because the trunk bottom is the stock gas tank i went ahead and cut the top out of the stock gas tank and slotted the bottom to fit the fuel cell in it. i thought that would look better and be a little easier than fabbing up the whole thing and welding it in to end all other options in the future. And this way i stil have a trunk. question is, the outlet of the tank is the lowest part down there for a couple feet. knowing this would it be better to mount the fuel pump 4 1/2 inches above the outlet and about 10 inches down line or mount it 3 feet down line and have it about level maybe and inch above the outlet? knowing that you want it more pushing not pulling the fuel and you want it not to get air in the line by having it to high, i havent enough experience to decide one way or another. If pics would help i could get them. thanks in advance, Todd.

2. yellowpony

Your best bet is to mount the pump as low as possible. If at all possible, you want it lower than the outlet to keep a constant head of fuel at the pump. Your option of mounting it level to the cell outlet is your best choice. I know magnafuel recommends a -12 feed to the pump inlet, even though the pump is -8 in/out. What kind of pump are you using?

Anthony

3. 1968turbostang

it's a fuelab pump i'm going to run -10 from tank to pump post pump filter then -8 to the reg. and -8 from reg to carb. with a -10 return.