1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Rear Gear Help

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by 89notchback, Nov 16, 2008.

1. 89notchback

Hey guys got a quick question about rear gears. I apoligize if this is in the wrong section, but I thought this is where it belongs :D I'm will be adding a turbo to my 3.8l V6 shortly, and was wondering what gears would be the best for my setup. Heres the break down:

3.8l V6
    4R70W Transmission
    T04B Turbo (from a tractor, thanks Dave)
    Southside Lowers
    Boxed Stock uppers

The car currently has stock gears, but I'm thinking thats not good for a turbo setup. I have a set of 3:55 & 4:10 gears that can go in, but I dont know which to go with. I did a search, but didnt come up with what I was looking for. So can anyone help point me in the right direction on gear selection? I appreciate the help guys. Thanks.

2. Racinjason81

what are your stock gears? 3.55 would be a good choice to usewith a turbo

3. Racinjason81

with 4.10s chances are you wouldnt be in a gear long enough to make boost.turbos are load based thats why people use gears that are lower numerically like 308s,327s,and 355s

4. 89notchback

Ok, I think the stock gears are 3:27, so would I benefit from putting the 3:55 gears in, or should I keep the stock gears?

5. turbobubba55

you'll probably be satisfied with the stock gears. My pickup truck runs quicker with 3.73s than with 4.10's (31" tall tire)

6. 86lxnotch

either keep the stockers or maybe switch to the 3.55's. i did a turbo on my girls v6 stang with the stock 4r70w in it and it is plain fun for a lil 6. made a hair under 300rwhp on 7lbs/detuned a lil. on 10 lbs it made 337/363

7. 89notchback

Thanks guys, I'm going to keep the stock gears for now and maybe change to the 3:55's later. Thanks again for the help :2thumbs: