1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Fuel / Ignition issue with ERF on.

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Mike86Stang, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Mike86Stang

I took the car out on a nice day and when driving the car, I turn my ERF on, the WB goes off the guage lean ( actually it's super rich ). If i give it throttle it stumbles bucks and generally won't get out of it's own way. While this is happening I can hear the turbo spooling , when RPM is somewhere around 1500 and popping in the exhuast, which is why I know it's actually way fat. Turn the fan off, goes away with in a few seconds.

Voltage at idle is 14.7
    Voltage at idle with ALL accessories on is 13.7/ 13.6.

13.x volts should be plenty of voltage for all the systems to run normally, so what is going on here? Is it something with my Inj/ Voltage offset maybe?

I'm open to ideas..

I have this posted on another board and just want to get some more opinions on what might be going on. Here is a pic of one of the spark plugs since one of the guys helping me wanted a pic of it I'll post that here too.

[​IMG]#ad

Thanks
    Mike

2. Rickracer

That plug is NOT super rich, your wideband appears to be telling the truth. Whatinthehellis ERF? The popping in the exhaust could be from being lean too, so lean it can't complete the burn in the cylinder, so it's burning off in the exhaust.

3. my8950

I wonder the same thing, what is erf?

4. Mike86Stang

Electric Radiator Fan...

So you think the car is going too lean when I turn the fan on?

It can't be fan wash b/c the meter is so far away from the turbo inlet ( post intercooler ). I wouldn't think it's the pump not getting enough fuel through, otherwise it would have broken something in boost already.

I think it would have to be in my tune..??

5. Rickracer

It's most likely a ground issue, (or possibly power), with the MAF, the fan, or possibly both. If the fan is "stealing" the ground, it could make the MAF flatline. Do you have a way to look at the MAF datastream live? Do you have a visible F/P gauge? I doubt it's in the tune, the fan should not affect the tune at all, unless, as I said, it's a ground issue.

6. Mike86Stang

Yes I have a moates QH that has a live dashboard, it'll give me MAFV or MAF in KGs.

Only FP gauage is on the rail under the hood.

I have a feeling it's something electrical... right now the fan is grounded direct to the battery. Would changing it to a chassis ground help?

- - - Updated - - -

How does something steal the ground?

7. Rickracer

"Stealing" was just a term I used, bad grounds can cause all kinds of freaky stuff, but if your fan is grounded to the battery, I wouldn't think that would be it. Is the fan on a relay?

8. Mike86Stang

Yep, 2 actually. It's a LS1 fan set up, so I have each motor tied to a relay for power. Switched power is shared, and both grounded at the battery.

FWIW, I have two 4ga grounds from the battery. One to the lower intake, one to the lower part of the engine block. Factory harness grounds to head for the injectors, and head to the firewall.

The negative battery terminal gets super hot ( enough to give me second degree burns ), it's been cleaned multiple times, even put a fresh clamp on it? Is it possible the battery is shorted internally causing this issue?

9. Rickracer

I'd say your problem most likely is there.....any time you have stuff going on that just makes NO SENSE, 99% or the time, it's gonna be a bad ground. I'm not sure what would cause the terminal to get super hot, but I'd have that battery load tested SEVERELY, and if it's even questionable, replace/upgrade it. I highly recommend Optima batteries, got one in my V8 S10 DD truck, (mounted upside down under the bed, and one in my boat. The race car doesn't have them only because they came from a sponsor, and they didn't have Optimas....

10. Mike86Stang

Well the reason it gets hot is because of resistance... that much I do know. Why there is so much resistance I have no idea.

This is the second battery to do this.. and I have gone through the grounds before twice. May be having a bad run of luck with them???

Thanks for the help :cheers: