1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Fuel Cell + E85 + Corners.

Discussion in 'Nitrous, E85, Methanol and Water Injection' started by KooK, May 10, 2015.

1. KooK

This is being kind of a bitch to research. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm looking for a fuel cell that wont start to starve at half a tank of gas under hard braking and cornering. I know foam is out of the question, I'm wondering if there is a bladder system that would work well.

2. sr47

Do you have to use a fuel cell? If not, there are baffled tanks and sumps on the market. Google "baffled fuel tanks"

3. KooK

I have two buddies with similar setups that use two different types of baffled tanks and they start having issues with fuel slosh at around 1/2 - 1/4 tank. I'm open to buying a well made baffled tank but I haven't seen too promising of results with them for the 79-04 Mustangs though.

4. sr47

My immediate thought is that there are enough Fox bodies still being road raced that there should be something on the market.

How about multiple pickup points on the tank to draw fuel from along with a deep sump?

5. Rickracer

Foam is NOT out of the question, and would probably be the best solution.

6. tbird

I wouldnt be afraid of foam.

Two cars. Both have foam. No issues. One cell is about 5 years old. One is 15 years old. 5 year old has had e85 in it its whole life. 15 year old was never used until 2 years ago and has had e85 only.

7. supedstang

The aeromotive tanks have a nice sump in them, glenns performance tanks are good as well. they state you can run them to empty without issues.

8. KooK

Which is what I was told when I bought my aeromotive tank and looked inside the thing and the sump is basically a box welded to the bottom with no baffling or anything. So, kicking myself in the ass over that one, I'll probably take a good loss selling this tank.

tbird - What tank/foam are you using? Everybody I've talked to tells me that ethanol will cause foam to 'burn' and it will chew it up very quickly.

9. geoturbochevy

I run foam on my fuel cell with a sump and the only time I've had to change the foam is when I let the car sit for a month with a half of tank of E85. It pretty much made the foam brittle to the point that it fell apart inside the tank.

To remedy I just empty the fuel cell when I know I am going to leave the car parked for over a week. Thus far its been working.

10. tbird

One is Harwood and one is JAZ.

I do know that some gasoline race fuels are nasty. I know a couple racers that have removed Foam because of it.
    Makes me wonder if peeps that have had problems with the foam coming apart had run race fuel.

On a side note that led me to wonder about the above sentence. A friend inspected his fuel filter after a couple years of e85 use.
    It had particles from the foam in it. However , he ran 110 leaded fuel in the car for years.

11. alain

I ran E-85 in a fuel cell with foam for about 3 years and have switched to 100% Ethanol about 4 months ago. My cell is not always filled completely and I have never had an issue. It sits for about 5-6 months over winter each year.

12. Chuck L

13. tbird

I dont think it will work correctly. It would be like a vacuum leak. Any corner that was uncovered would cause a loss of suction of fuel.

Pretty sure I saw a fuel pickup once that was weighted and moved freely in the cell so it would move with g-forces to follow the fuel under hard cornering.

14. Jeremy

What about a surge tank and inline pump?