1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Fuel cell? carpet questions?

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by yoteehunter, Mar 25, 2009.

1. yoteehunter

I was wondering if anyone out there has put one of the universal style fuel cells in there mustang? I have a 1997 gt that Im working on and I am going to cut the spare tire trunk pan out for clearance reasons and to loose some weight. I know the bolt in fuel cells are like $1500.00. I cant pay that much. I was hoping to fab up a hanger system or whatever is needed to get a fuel cell of universal size in the ($300-600.00 price range) in there but I have a few questions. Most of the ones I see have a GM sender? Can this sender be used with my stock sender wiring to keep my stock fuel gauge working? I just want a super simple cell with a sender that I can hook up to keep my stock fuel gauge working. The rest of the fuel system will be totaly new so I am not worried about that. I just am not sure how to tackle the sender to work with my car.

Also I was wondering if anyone makes a big carpet blank that I can use to cover my floor. I have removed the rear seat and will be taking out the center console to allow for a lenco transmission and shifters. I was wondering if there is a place that sells a pre molded full blank with no holes cut in it for stock locations or if someone sells formable carpet by size?

2. yoteehunter

3. Turbohwagon

Have you checked the resistance table for your mustang VS. the typical GM fuel level sender? they maybe close enough to move the needle in some capacity. The fuel cell i have does have a sender, but i didn't bother to wire it, i just use a cut off yard stick. I've only run out of gas once in 5 years.

I went to menard's carpet remnant section, and found a big roll of black carpet, while its not pre-molded after a few hot days in the sun and if you cut the backing correctly it usually forms up over time, but yeah you might have a few ugly wrinkles for a little bit.

I know your doing the 4v budget build, gas gauges and carpet are over rated anyway. ;)

4. Briansshop

5. yoteehunter

Thanks guys

I was thinking the carpet would form over time. I thought about leaving it out but I do want the car to still look nice inside.

6. fst72vette

Try RCI...........they make some nice fuel cells......I just bought a plastic 16 gal cell with sender for like 100$. If you get a plastic cell make sure you ground it to the frame. If not it could cause static electricity and then... :fear:

If its in the car like a trunk I would probably go with an aluminum one. RCI makes them too.......good look man!