1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Fuel capacity vs pump vs temp

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Red98422, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Red98422

let me start off with...I have more than one question and I don’t want to be “that guy” who post four different topics all at once so I’ll keep this about the subject line for now

I am gathering parts currently for a Cadillac 500 turbo build...for my Fiero. This is important for at least a couple reasons

1) factory fuel capacity for ‘84 is 8.4gals
    2) fuel tank is located pretty darn close to the engine compartment

That being said I plan on using the factory fuel tank and a pretty hefty pump the Holley 12-1200

My main question for you guys I guess: is with a small fuel capacity and vicinity of the tank to the engine added to the fact I will start as a blow through carb deal cause major concern with vapor lock/hot boiling fuel?

2. Pro-SC

3. Red98422

Lol that seems...excessive. I Hope you are correct. It’s a big reason that I chose that pump to keep the fuel from getting too hot while recirculating

4. Pro-SC

It is for sure but guys have been doing things to keep fuel cold as long as I can remember. The cool can idea has been around since the fifties if not earlier, just more high tech ways of doing it these days. If it was me I would run as big as possible of a return line to the tank. 8 gallons is a small tank so I understand your concern. I am not familiar with the Fiero but I am pretty sure they are a mid engine car that came with a v6. Not sure where the stock tank is but if it is close you could also wrap it to keep engine heat away. There are very high quality thermal barriers from coatings to wraps, you should be able to find something to insulate your fuel tank from the heat.
    You are putting a caddy 500 engine into this?
    You gotta start a build thread, I want to check this out!

5. Red98422

When I first went to the product my first thought was how they look like oil coolers on a old boat. You got it right it’s a mid engine Pontiac! This one unfortunately came with the 2.5 4cly.

Thank you for the idea of wrapping it! That’s probably what I’ll end up doing. I was already thinking about the lizard skin product for doing my engine bay. The fuel tank on these cars sit about 3-4” forward of the engine.
    I plan to start a build thread when I begin on the engine build and swap for sure!

Right now I am gathering parts for the engine and transmission build to handle boost and I’m buying the fuel and ignition related parts next.