1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Foxbody Mustang Newbie Turbo Questions

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by onefastmustang, Sep 26, 2012.

1. onefastmustang

Hello everyone I have read a lot of forums on here about turboing a fox body mustang and I still have a lot of questions on what I should do for a future project that I will have after graduation. Ok here is the current setup as of now, pro billet 331 stroker from DSS racing the car has comp cams the lift is .565/.574 and the intake is 232/240 also the car has afr 205cc heads 208/160 valves, ford racing timing chain, Pro gear 3 position double roller, Dss aluminum roller rockers, Holley system max intake, compression is 10:9:1, and the engine is blue printed and balanced. I listed the current setup because this is what I have to work with and I figured this information would be essential for you all to know. Ok now to the turbo questions,what should I run on compression and what turbo should I go with I was looking at pony downs stage 2 turbo kit? The block is also good up to 650 hp before stress cracking. I know I did not ask many turbo questions I am totally new to this stuff I figured you all could guide me to the right choice on what I should do or what brand stuff I should get so forth an so on. I really appreciate for you all taking your time reading this thread and if there is any questions that you need to know just let me know.

Thanks for all replies :bow:

2. mustang-junky

Sell the shortblock, or get a better block.

Jess

3. slowboat

I'll second..the dss is nothing more than stock 5.0 block regardless of what you may have been feed otherwise. Compression is high for pump gas, consider e-85 as a fuel option. Have you give attention/though to the fuel system yet as it gets costly real quick. Pony down kit is fine but you may want to look into how long it takes to actually get one. Might want to consider 2nd hand or build your own as you can save some decent bucks and not play the waiting game.

4. onefastmustang

Would you know of any other good brands?

5. M&M Turbochargers

check out the "turbo kit feed back" section prob find some good info there

6. davashcow

Pony Down won't return phone calls or emails.

I just ordered from Brian at B&G Custom Turbo. Plenty of great feedback out there with B&G.

7. M&M Turbochargers

8. turbostang500

that engine wont take much if any boost before it splits.

I agree with above, sell that engine and start with something else. I doesn't take much of a long block to blow the thing in half with a turbo.
    If you want 650hp, you might want to consider a windsor.

9. Andy Dorsett

Since you mentioned that you are about to graduate tell us with what degree. Your budget will be quite different if you are about to have an engineering degree vs a business degree or high school diploma.

10. BoostedBadBoy

Yeah I agree what does your budget consist of? Because right now you have a lot of high dollar parts in there thats a good base. But I agree completely with get rid of that short block as much as you don't want to hear it. Right now with those heads and setup you have, your probably pushing every bit of 400hp and as stated DSS is a stock block and if you look at the Chronicles here for 302's we know split point is around 500rwhp.. some living longer than others. And putting a turbo on it, you'd barely be into the boost before you could split that thing right down the middle. If your dead set on using that motor honestly man, I might consider Nitrous to turbo for the simple fact of it might live a little longer and Nitrous is more friendly with high compression.
    Otherwise as stated you will be doing some rather costly ** more so with E85 ** fuel upgrades in order to run boost. You'd need a boost referenced Regulator, min of a Walbro 255 pump possibly two.. if E85 is desired I'd definitely say 2. Would be the cheapest way to go on budget.. but A1000 etc would be the preferred way to go. I always suggest building the fuel supply bigger than the end goal so you always have room to grow if and when you decide too.
    X2 on Windsor being the best way to go. Bang for the buck those blocks and crank/rods can and will handle north of 700hp and is a much better design. More material to work with, just better all the way around. But it is a 1/2" wider than the 302's
    As far as kits go? As said BG Custom great kits... ponydown is a hell of a wait. But quality kits... CXracing not horrible.. On3performance, 50/50 on the kits and Chad is a dick and ripoff artist so careful if you go that route, but I don't advice it. Treadstone has a decent kit and supports Turbonics.. haven't ever heard anything bad about them really. HP or Hellion if you have the money to wipe your ass with.. lol But good kits... Or do it yourself cheapest and some what easiest route... but the other ones take the guess workout of stuff for the most part.
    Also what trans are you running and rear gear?