1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Foxbody mini tub axle lenth

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by Jem2691, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Jem2691

Hey what axle length is everyone running for a mini tub stock suspension foxbody I just purchased a built 8.8 that is 50 inchs base plate to base plate.

2. Steven

Unless you already own a high-dollar pair of race wheels for the rear, just install the built axle, finish assembly with stock parts to figure out what, if anything, needs changed, and if so, by how much.

3. Jem2691

The problem I have is this axle was set up for a 4 link car and the stock locations for the upper and lower control arms were removed. So I have another housing Im going to narrow and use I just want to make sure it will work.

4. turbostang500

Hmm...I dont know what the length of a stock axle end to end is so I dont know exactly how much shorter that housing is. I think stock fox is 54" so if using a fox rear brake, you would need a 2" shorter length.
    If you dont know, you need to measure from the side gear face, out to the back plate. Then you would need to add whatever the offset is for the brake setup you want to run. Then, i would look at whichever manufacturer you want to use and see if thry have a templet or form for ordering custom length axles.
    That will tell you exactly how to measure.

5. Steven

Sliding in some wrong shafts unti, they hit the cross shaft of the differential, or fail to hit it, will still give you a length measurement. If they hit, you can see how far the bearing portion of the shafts are from the outer bearings, otherwise match that up and measure how far the shaft are from the cross shaft. The test shaft doesn't even hafta have enough splines.
    Still gotta correct your length measurement for the hat height of your rotors.

6. Jem2691

Thanks thats all I really need to know is the factory lenth to the current length that means it was shortened 2 inchs on each side it should work.

7. rick90lx

2-2.5" off per side seems to be the hot ticket. I'm at just under 1.5" off per side and I wish I had gone further.