1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Shipping an engine block...

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by MN Tony, Sep 22, 2008.

1. MN Tony

Sorry for putting this in this forum, but I didn't know where else it fit. I am selling an engine block, but I wanted to be able to quote shipping. Any suggestions on a reasonable shipper??? I'm getting quotes at $500 and I believe that it should be less than that. Any suggestions are appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. Turbo_Baer

freight company like ups freight aka overnite or central transport. put it on a pallet and secure it good. wrap it up and get it weighed to get a figure to base your shipment off of. also its cheaper to send it to a business then a residential address

3. ScottI

Like Turbo_baer
    If picked up at shippers dock may be twenty or thiry bucks cheaper than business address. A hood delivered to my house was $120 to my work was $90 to shippers dock was $51. This was using UPS Freight (Overnite). Ohio to Indianapolis.

4. MN Tony

Good suggestions guys, I'll look into shipping it from my buddies machine shop.

5. gryphon68

uship.com

Reverse Auctions . . . .

6. Robert1320

7. 1foxbody

How much is it usually to ship just a block? I know it depends on weight and distance but say its a small block. About how much guys?? Hopefully we can find somewhere cheap lol

8. Robert1320

We ship a Little M Dart for a little over $100.00

9. MN Tony

I was getting quotes of around $250 but I just checked with Forward Air and got a price of $140 from Arizona to Virginia. I thought that was reasonable. Oh and that's terminal to terminal, not address to address.

10. ralphiejantz

foward air is great I recently shipped a long block to ohio from NY for a few hundread dollars, and it was there in 2 days, I highly recommend them

11. MN Tony

They quoted me 3 to 4 days for this one. Very reasonable!

12. Selder

I shipped a 302 block via UPS for ~$100 a few years ago. I had to ship the main caps separately as it exceeded their weight limit with them installed.

Steve

13. MN Tony

Yeah, I think fuel prices have eliminated shipping a block for $100 these days! :doh:

14. ShaneH

Forward Air and Redhawk Global will generally give the best price on a palletized engine block or engine.