1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Need help on 8.8" build choices

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by rtz, Sep 19, 2008.

1. rtz

Need help on 8.8" build choices

Right now, I'm only making about 400hp/400tq at the tires(very safe timing). I'd like to run it at the track with this setup; but I have no traction with regular tires. I'd like to get some drag radials.

I currently have 3.27's, repacked locker, and stock 28 spline axles, 10 hole wheels.

Chances of axle breakage with MT Street Radials? Even then, it's still always on my mind.

What route to go in getting it dealt with?

I'd like to get a spool(cheaper, reliable, only a weekend car). Preferably 33 spline axles.

How crucial or critical is it to get the tubes welded to the center section? It's like $150 to ship it to Team Z, $450 for the welds, and $150 back. Kind of a lot.

How about the 9" ends or c-clip elims? I've been stuck with this dilemma for some time now and I don't know how to proceed.

Then there is the issue of 4 or five lug. If I go five, new wheels needed.

Then what about getting the housing narrowed? Stronger and lighter as a result right? Better setup for wider wheels too? I need a guaranteed, no wheel hop upper/lower setup if so. Then what about the sway bar issue(stock currently)?

What would you do?

2. slow8.0

Re: Need help on 8.8" build choices

I'll try to hit on some of this stuff with my ideas. The tubes should be welded to the housing. They always break there. Any good welding shop can handle that. I would stay away from c-clip elim. if you like to keep your underside of your car clean. Mine are nothing but a pain in the ass. So go with 9" ends. Use a spool if it is 80% track car. You can go with the 33 spline axles and keep the four lug but the axles will run alittle more (I think) If it were me I would have the rearend narrowed and 9" ends put on at the same time. Then bite the bullet and buy new rims and stick with 5 lug as there are alot more wheel options. I see the first sentence you wrote said "right now" which to me says you plan to go more later. Only do it once and it will actually be cheaper.

Five lug axles w/screw in studs
    33 spline spool
    welded tubes
    9" ends
    Narrow housing
    :welder:

3. Enginerd

I did my 8.8 in steps as the car got faster. Here's what I did by ET's:

Running 12's (T5 trans):
    - Bone stock rear, 3.73 gear, 26" slicks...broke a stock axle lauching
    - Replaced with 31 spline, 4lug Strange axles, C-clip elims, T/A cover, and a truck traction lock

Running 11's (T5):
    - No change to rear

Running 10's (C4 with T-brake):
    - Put in 3.55 gear, went to 28" slick
    - No other change to rear

Running high to mid 9's (C4 with T-brake):
    - No change to rear

Running low 9's to high 8's (TH400 with T-brake):
    - Went to a 33 spline, 5 lug Strange axle with spool
    - Added 9" ends to housing and Strange rear discs
    - Switched to a 325 drag radial

I still have never welded my tubes to the housing and don't plan to. Welding cast iron is not easy and can actually weaken the material surround the weld joint if not done properly. I am going to secure my tubes over the winter, but it will be via an alternate method. A NMRA racer who had broken a number of welded axle tubes from the center section had much better success using screws to hold the tubes in place. This is the route I'm going to follow.

Rob

4. slow8.0

I tig welded my tubes to the housing using super-missle rod. I have welded alot of cast iron for my customers and never had a problem yet.

5. Injected65

If you want to save yourself the shipping charge, run it across town to Mike Duffy Race Cars. He is down in Moore. He can weld it all up for you.

Chris

6. TeamZmotorsports

it's $450 for cleaning preping, narrowing adding 9'' ends and welding, if you want just the tubes welded.
    I would do just the tubes for $120, shipping is $70-$80 ups but the housing has to be bare, and I would highly recomend cleaning the housing, that's another $50

7. GTTURBO88

Please post about this when you do it. I have 8 sec goals with unwelded axle tubes and would be very interested in finding out about this.

8. 86lxnotch

try using DHL for shipping the rear. the y seem to have much cheaper bulk item rates