1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Fox wiring differences... 4 cyl to V8 Chassis harness ?'s

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Coupe Devil, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Coupe Devil

Not talking about the engine harness.. obvious differences there. What I am asking about is the chassis harness....under the dash, fuel pump, tail lights, stereo.. that main harness. Are there any substantial differences in the harness between a 4 cyl car and a V8 car? My Gt has had a rough life and the wiring is a disaster.. I am thinking it may be easier to just replace the entire harness vs try to fix the bad places...and hack jobs created before I got it.

Friend has a 4 cyl car he is stripping to put a Mach Donor car in and he is doing wiring, interior the whole 9. Can I get the harness from his 4 cyl car and replace my GT Chassis harness and everything work as it should?

Right now I have no back up lights, no clutch switch, radio wiring is completely destroyed..I need it fixed right.

2. slowfox

The one major diff i can think of is the Gt vs a lx 5.0 or 4 popper is no foglights which can be easily adapted. As far as the body harness I am not aware of any differences on gague or options vs a non v8 car in the lx trim.

3. Coupe Devil

Thanks that what I needed to hear. I think im gonna get the harness anyways.... and compare them pretty close before I go swapping.

4. 86lxnotch

i forget off the top of my head but tey changed connectors a couple times so make sure you engine harness plugs into the dash harness before you go through the hassle of putting that new one in. i THINK 87-89 and 90-93 are the diff but im not 100%

5. Selder

Maybe this is a bad example but I used a 5.0L harness out of an 86 Cougar and it was a bit different than my 90' 4 cyl Stang harness. The two grey plugs that connect he engine bay harness to the dash harness were pinned diffently. They would physically plug together but the wire positions were all wrong.

Steve