1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Fox Mustang coil-over strut ID?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by Forcefed86, May 8, 2018.

1. Forcefed86

Anyone recognize these? They were installed on my car when I bought the roller. The springs are king brand obviously, but they are hard as a rock. Basically have no zero suspension travel. I’m looking for an OEM type ride quality. Anyone have a spring suggestion?

I unscrewed the coil over top and slipped a shock out. Both sides are different brands and both are blown. Anyone know where I can get a replacement shock for this coil over kit?

[​IMG]#ad
    [/img']https://i.imgur.com/Ns6E8mP.jpg?1[/img[/URL]]

[​IMG][/img']https://i.imgur.com/YfAnHu9.jpg?1[/img[/URL]][/IMG]#ad

2. Hemann

Are these on the Mustang?

I have a pair of Strange single adjustable coilovers with 14\150 springs if you are interested. Just switched to some double adjustable.

3. Forcefed86

Thanks for the offer. Just trying to sort mine out at the moment. Yes, it’s on the mustang. Anyone else weigh the nose of their car? I’m not sure I did it right I have my own digital scale. Just placed it under the k-member and jacked the car till the front tires were off the ground to get 1560lbs. I don’t have the individual scales that go under the tires.

So far I’ve found out it’s a 175lb 12” Viking spring on a AJE coil over. AJE claims to use early 90’s OEM Lumina strut cartridges in their coil overs. So the valving isn’t very aggressive... and a 175lb springs aren’t either. No idea why this things so stiff.

I’m going to tear into it this weekend and look for binding parts. If I don’t find anything I’m going to throw on a spare set of 125# springs I have to see how it acts.

[​IMG]#ad

4. TomR

Every car built differently will scale differently. Jacking the car and measuring weight on the jack will give you a lighter reading than the actual resting weight on tires because you have changed the "rake" of the car among other things.

If you wanted to do this correctly, you could put a wooden block under every tire the thickness of the scale. Then move the scale around from wheel to wheel substituting the scale for the block without altering car rake.

If you have 175 lbs/inch actual spring rate that means even 175 lbs change moves the spring 1". If your car really weighed 1750 on the front and the strut was right out at the wheel hub center, it was by some miracle even on both wheels, it would compress each spring 5 inches from zero weight to full weight.

If the A arm was 15 inches long and the strut located half way out from the hub center, you now have a 2:1 level so an actual 175 pound per inch spring rate would compress 10 inches.

You can see geometry plays a huge role in things. Build some platforms the height of your scale and get a tape measure out. Then you can get useful data. My Mustang with a Boss 302 racing block is ~3175 with me in it. I have ~1785 on the front tires and ~1390 on the back. I run the stiffest stock location rear springs I could find, and a spring compressed 3/4 way or about 25% from the bottom. I have travel limiters, but mostly use geometry through my initial suspension geometry and shock valving to control lift.

5. Forcefed86

Thanks for the input!

This is a shoestring budget street toy. Already kicked out of the track for going too quick without a cage.

I was looking for a comfortable ride and am willing to sacrifice whatever issues this caused with speed/traction/handling. I have a 50/50 “drag” shock that will be going in the rear with the factory spring.

Installed new OEM Lumina struts cartridges in the AJE coil over’s with new bump stops. Then new 14” 150lb springs with thrust bearings. Also popped off the lower A-Arm bolts and inspected it all. Bushings, bolts, mounts seemed fine. Travel through full range of motion, though from the neutral position to max up position it was very stiff. I greased them a little and re-torqued them all at full “up travel”. Car rides a bit smoother but I’d still call it a very firm ride. Makes no sense to me. I do have the caster on the UPR plate maxed positive to help keep it straight at speed. I know this makes the spring act a little heavier as well. But It’s not what I’d call excessive.

The jack pads I have were custom china cheapies I had a friend make for me. (he also calibrated these so they are accurate) They look like a hockey puck with a little “tit” in the middle. I’d have to make some sort of rig to get wheel weight with them. I do have 2 of them. (got about $35 in these including the soap box from the dollar store. ;) )

[​IMG]#ad

On a side note I had a 12” 100lb spring laying around I threw in for kicks. Compressed down to having maybe 1/2” between each coil... yet I could still jump up and down on the shock tower and it was very firm. Really don’t think it’s a spring issue.

6. TomR

It will mostly be shocks for the quick movements. Plus you may have more weight than you think.

The way I run the shocks in my car on a tight prep track is with struts so tight I can't even shake the front. It won't budge by pushing or lifting..