1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Fox body long rod 302 budget build.

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Cpt. Slow, May 2, 2015.

1. Cpt. Slow

Starting my newest build. The past builds in this car have included a 2.3l boosting 22 lbs for a peak hp of 332hp and 312 ft torque. Then came a 347 running 7lbs. Best run at 5500 elevation was 12.48 at 112 thru a t5 and 3.89 rear gears (regeared to 3.25's but never got the the track again). It decided to lose a lifter idling in the garage and trash the block.
    I don't have the money for that kind of build again so I'm using what's laying around.
    New build will be a 289 short block using a 302 crank and some slight mill work on the Pistons to make a small dome to bump compression on the 69cc d8 heads I acquired. Turbo is a holset hx40 that has been worked over and is now a 67mm compressor. Hot side has a .96 a/r housing. Intake is a torker 289. Heads and intake will get port work and heads will get 351 valves. I'll post as progress continues.

image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

2. 20psiofevil

Man that sucks about trashing your engine. Hope you have better luck this time around. What happened with the lifter?

3. Cpt. Slow

The pin walked out and slammed the bottom of the lifter bore breaking the ears off the lifter and locking the cam up. (Factory style roller lifters) could have been rpm related. Shifted at 6300 with that motor. It ruined the cam, timing set and sent a lot of metal to the #8 piston skirt.

4. Cpt. Slow

Cam for the new motor will be a crower 15322. Mostly collecting parts now but pics will come later this week of some progress hopefully.

5. Cpt. Slow

6. sr47

Just saw the heads, whats the word on them?

7. Cpt. Slow

I googled them some but didn't get a lot of information. Seems like just a lot of talk with no experience using them or people even holding a set. I'll be calling today to order a set so when they come in ill take them to the local machine shop for some inspection and thoughts on quality.

8. sr47

That would be a great idea, post a ton of pics.

If they're Aussie made like EQ I'd make a play for them myself :)

9. Cpt. Slow

I'm sorry EQ stands for what?

10. sr47

Engine Quest, they have cylinder heads that have been upgraded for Mopar Magnums ( I think they do other makes as well )

11. 95MustangGT331

Let me guess comp lifters... i had the same thing. 4 other pins were lose. Cost me $1000 to fix that $20 part that broke.

12. Cpt. Slow

Ford racing lifters were being used. I'm going to venture a guess that I was floating which resulted in needle bearing failure or just beating the pin loose in the ears.

13. Cpt. Slow

Cam came in. Heads are ordered.
    Now some new questions. I will not be doing forged Pistons as the price is just too much for the build that's happening. I will be switching to a 350 Chevy piston and machining my rod ends for the .927 pin. At this point am I better getting a cast piston or sticking with a hyper. I'd really like to spin this thing to 6800 or more every once in a great while but I don't want to spend the money on forged Pistons.
    I will be keeping timing, fuel and boost well in check to keep this thing alive as long as possible

14. sr47

As long as the tune is right you can go either way, just get something with a thick crown that's blower specific, then it's just making sure the balance is right.

15. Cpt. Slow

Will cast handle the rpm better then the hypers?

16. Mnlx

IMO they will, but probably not by a huge margin... the hypers are brittle, and don't "give" much. A lot of the times when the hyper fails there will be nothing left, just the piston pin banging on the cyl wall.. lol. Clearance will be important... too little is bad, and too much will break skirts, and more.

17. sr47

Depends on the formulation of the hypers. You're only going to 6800 on occasion, it's not like you are going to do the ground and pound all the time, plus you know it's all in how it's assembled.

But yeah, a straight cast piston can handle it better.

18. Cpt. Slow

Well I'm uncomfortable with the current piston slop and it's already bored .040" over. Budget is out the window to an extent at this point. A set of forged probes are on the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you all for the assistance so far.

19. Cpt. Slow

Ordered a set of probe Pistons this evening. Lots on order but no progress as of yet! I'll post pics as it arrives.

20. sr47

Wow. Didnt know Probe made cast or hyper pistons :)

Well, guess like all good builds, she's gone outta control!

Let me guess, some AFR 195s with the CNC package are next.

Then that nasty turbo cam.....