1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Talon BOV filter

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by mustangless, Mar 17, 2007.

1. mustangless

Does anybody know the filter # that will fit on this.

2. loudpedal99

3. PEARL MUSSIN

I just run a screen mesh over mine.

4. mustangless

If I have enough room, it looks like I can use part KNN-62-1420

5. 4cylTurbo

This is incorrect. I have never seen ANY stock talon BOV open even at 20in/hg. The only time I've seen a DSM BOV open is when a noticable pressure difference occurred between the vacuum source of the valve and what the valve saw on the charge pipe side. This should be the case for all BOVs.

In terms of a screen, if your valve is open at idle then you need a stiffer spring, therefore, the valve should only open to discharge pressurized air, in which case you would not need a screen.

6. mystang

ha well i had a second gen eclipse bypass valve and it would start to open at 16" and be totaly open at 19" this was using a vaccum hand pump. with pressure on the other side it would open much sooner. you may want to take a look at jgsturbo.com they sell a "checkvalve" that you could put on the end of the bov. just take a look at their website.

7. mustangless

8. 4cylTurbo

2nd gen BOVs are junk and I would never even think of running one. I've still never ran across a 2nd gen valve that opened under vacuum (and the motors run 18-20" from the factory), or any BOV for that matter unless there was some extreme idle surge issue and the valve had a problem. The 1st gen valve is a great valve for the money, and they can hold over 20psi just fine and even more if you crush them slightly.

That ebay valve looks like a Greddy RS copy, and definitely not worth your time and money. I say do it right and do it once with something along the lines of a Tial or Greddy type R.

9. velardejose

Hi
    I run a 1st gen talon/eclipse bov and its open at idle (19 in/hg)
    Peace

10. 4cylTurbo

You need a new BOV then, or you can crush the valve slightly in a vise, which is a very useful trick DSMers use to get that valve to hold more boost.

Blow off valves are engineered to "blow off" pressurized air that occurs from the throttle snapping shut, they were not engineered to filter/suck in air. Intakes were designed for that.

BOVs are only engineered to open when the vacuum side of the valve sees vacuum and the charge pipe side of the valve sees a pressure differential greater than the spring pressure. The reason the valve does not open during boost is because vacuum side of the valve sees a positive pressure, that of the charge pipe side. During vacuum at idle the charge pipe sees vacuum as well as the vacuum side of the valve thus keeping the valve shut. If your valve is opening at idle then I hope you're run a MAP setup or blowthrough MAF. If its opening at idle what do you think its doing under boost?

11. velardejose

Hmm
    Fact is
    Tried it without vacuum line (no vac/positive press)
    Climbs dangerously fast over 16 psi
    I don't think what it does, I prefer to try it with vac/positive press
    Btw I run a turbo carbed setup @14 psi, thats my daily driver
    A lot of people think turbocarbed cars do not exist...
    Peace

12. mustangless

this is the 1g bov, not of 2g one.

I want something to fit on the flange I already have.

Im thinking about getting a tial, but then my flange would not work, I don't think. The greddy rs (real) looks nice too, and could probably work on my flange. But, I don't want to get that, and it suck air in too. HKS looks nice also, but not sure about the flange, or if I have enough room to mount it.

edit: I think i will just keep the dsm one and get a filter for now atleast

13. 79Sleeper

The 1G dsm BOV is infact a bypass valve that is engineered to open at around 15.7" of Hg. If his is opening at 19" that he doesn't need a new one, it is operating normally.

mustangless,
    As had been mentioned, simply crush your BOV alittle bit in a vice and you will no longer need a filter, and it will hold higher boost. A filter is not a good option as it will restrict it's venting abilities. See this link for specifics on the process:

http://www.dsm.org/archives/1999/09/19990903.txt/15.html

Troy

14. larouchedem

Here's a link to a mod for the bov that'll work without crushing.

I can't get it to link properly, but if you click turbo database, then #22 [modifying a talon bov] you'll get there.

Dave