1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

HELP ASAP!!! Blown headgasket, which one to go with now?!!

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Monkie, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Monkie

Well my car is stock block, AFR 165 heads. I had Felpro gaskets on there and I believe I blew one just a second ago. Now coolant is in the oil and it was coming out of the exhaust. Car drives fine just gets alittle hot. Which headgasket should I go with!?

2. notched306

cometic,hands down

3. turbo66

Only if your surface prep is up to scratch, very smooth
    .1011-2 Fel pro with studs will get you a good seal which will take up minor surface irregularities

4. Monkie

The car makes 9psi and 480/507. The car has studs on the heads too. :huh: :huh: Should I do the cometics?

5. 1fast-turbo-coupe

your tune must be way off.

6. Monkie

The tune is dead on...its not the tune. However the plugs were fouling out for a couple of days before. The car would hessitate in the upper RPMS 5,000-5,500rpms. But the tune is good on the car...

7. turbo66

Detonation is your main enemy, nothing will hold the gaskets in there if you are rattling it, I run the 1011-2's with a shade under 10:1 comp and 15psi, no probs unless I rattle it and then POP gaskets are gone as you would expect. I like the head gaskets to be the fuse rather than somenthin more expensive like pistons, block, crankshaft etc

8. Monkie

The car hasn't detonated at all, there is even a 110/93 mix in the gas tank. The car did detonate alittle before the turbo on hot days but when I retuned it I had the tuner back off 2 degrees so it would be a safe tune. The car has not detonated since the turbo was put on.

9. 1fast-turbo-coupe

if it is then there is no reason you should pop a head gasket with 9psi and head studs. unless your deck or head is wacked.

10. Monkie

Other than a head gasket what could it be? :huh:

11. turbo66

If the hesitation and popping were crossfiring then this is a very real head gasket killer, nothing like firing the plug 120degress too early... ;)

12. alain

You don't always hear detonating. My 360 popped both head gaskets at once (at 15psi), but I heard no detonating at all. I put in new ones and when driving, discovered it'd done more damage than just some head gaskets. There is a humungous amount of blow-by now. I pulled the motor and put in a 318 I had doing nothing to be out on the road quickly again. Haven't had the time to pull the 360 apart yet. I'm suspecting some collapsed ring lands.....

13. ShaneH

OK, so let's get something straight right off the bat.......... I don't care that this person has tuned two other cars for you. 99% of the time, if you blow a head gasket it's the tune. Not to mention that you said you're fowled the plugs. Doesn't sound very tuned to me! That said, I always used the Felpro 8548PT2 graphite gasket when I had a stock type engine that you can get at Oreilly's or Autozone.

14. 5OH2GO

Like was said above, if you use Cometics, you absolutely have to have a squeaky clean, perfectly flat surface!
    When you are ready to assemble your heads to the block, you should be able to wipe the surface with a paper towel and have nothing on the towel after you wipe it.
    Also, absolutely check it with a straight edge you are confident is exact, to make sure you are not missing a defect or slight misform in either surface.
    If you are completely confident your surfaces are this way and your heads are installed properly and to the correct torque spec and order, then as was mentioned, I would definitely have your car dyno tuned.

Do not rely on over the counter or mail order chips to be 100% reliable. Nor a quick burn on a laptop.
    A dyno is your visual window to make sure your A/F is correct and to get a visual on detonation.

Good luck! :2thumbs:

15. Monkie

DUDE the tune is dead on!!! The reason the plugs were fowled is because they were gapped too much and were the stock heat range. As I have stated before the tune was NOT the issue here. Turns out I had head bolts and the heads raised off the block.

16. petejennen

Im not sure but it looks like to me that you dont need no help. Good luck with that TUNE...........