1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Forged Crankshaft Material,Brand? for a boosted Flathead Ford V8

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by drag lc, Nov 12, 2011.

1. drag lc

Hi,
    As the title says im looking for the best crankshaft for a boosted flathead v8 stroke would be 4" ive seen people use forged callies cranks with good results. are there any one else that i should be looking when buying a crankshaft?.

it will be running carrillo H beam conrods.

Cheers Hayden
    Australia

2. Boost Engineer

No advertisement for Moldex Crankshafts in Redford, Michigan, but this is what I personally know from years of dealing with them as a racer and engineer:

Moldex Crankshafts
    12001 Telegraph Rd.
    Redford MI,
    contact Joe @ 313-561-7676 or 313-387-6099 with any questions

1) Ford and General Motors have used them for 50 years to make prototype crankshafts.
    2) I use them today (for prototype crankshafts made for my work as a Turbo Engineer).
    3) The steel billet material that they use is "Timkin Bearing" quality steel and very expensive to buy in raw billet form BUT it is EXCEPTIONALLY CLEAN steel. The "dirtier" the steel the more Inclusions in the steel when it is created. Every inclusion is a potential failure point in the steel.
    4) Moldex has made custom crankshafts for every type of engine made over the years:
    Flat cranks, V-12 cranks, I-4 cranks, I-6 cranks, V-8 & v-10 cranks, 'single cylinder' cranks so I would bet money that they could do a flathead crank in their sleep.
    5) I have personally purchased several custom cranks over the last 40 years and they are still in service.

I was briefly involved (at the Bonneville Salt Flats) with this project. I was the blower guy on site at the time for the team. http://flatfire.com/

This streamliner was also powered by a traditional flathead v-8 engine (with mods). The previous record was 235 mph for the class. As you will read, the Flatfire engine set a new record of 296 mph.

"The deeper you go into Flatfire's engine, the more modifications are exposed. A distinctive girdle ensures the crankshaft stays put in the three-main bearing configuration. Reinforced front and rear main caps, as well as a custom, four-bolt center cap support the 4 3/8-inch stroke billet Moldex crankshaft. "

So that is the way that I would PERSONALLY go.

Tom Vaught

3. drag lc

Ok Thanks

I have seen that engine think it was in the nhra muesum in LA.

Cheers Hayden
    Australia