1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

ford 90mm maf plus extender

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by ConradS, Dec 15, 2005.

1. ConradS

Can this be tuned in a blowthrough setup on a fox eec-iv car?  I'm tired of dealing with these crappy pro-m meters.  The only thing is i HAVE to run a blowthrough as the way my turbo kit is made (B@G) its not possible to run a draw through maf as a 4 inch pipe would not fit since the 351 is so tight with the turbo on the passenger side.

Are there any good SCT tuners on this board that are sponsors? Also doesn't the lightning maf use an IAT sensor in the electronics? How do you deal with this on a fox car?

2. ConradS

have i stumped the board with this question? :angel:

No one on here has done this?

3. getusummm

Why dont you mount the MAF in the fenderwell? Granted i am not turbo(yet), but I do have a powerdyne setup. All I had to do was extend the wires a little and away she went. I am also running a pro-m with no problems. Are you sure the pro-m is setup for blow through and not draw through?

4. ddv005

I have my lightning MAF and most of my cold piping in the passenger fender since my kit is setup for draw thru (PTK) I just got 2 4" 90 * silicones and stuck the MAF in the fender.

5. ConradS

no room to do that with a 4 inch pipe. The turbo inlet is about 4 inches behind the front part of the frame on the passenger side. It has the word 50 blowthru written on the meter.

6. slwt13

I'm not sure if I've asked any you guys in PM but with the lightning MAF and Xtender can any size injectors could be used? The calibration is in the computer and therefore I could use a set of 55's with this system?

7. bags50lx

Conrad, you can definitely run the 90mm LMAF as a blow thru setup on your fox body. Adding the Maf Extender will give you almost limitless range before the meter pegs. The 90mm LMAF and 90mm 03 cobra meter are still a four wire design so you will still need to use your factory IAT sensor thats allready on your car. Simply get a 4 wire pigtail off a newer car and wire into your existing MAF wires. The tune will be a little harder than a suck thru but a competent tuner should have no issues dialing you in in no time at all. And yes you could run any injector you would like as long as you type the injector size and maf xfer into the software. Good luck

8. ConradS

thanks,i picked up a lighting 90mm maf off of ebay and i'm going to run it via drawthru. I have the cut the car a bit to get it front of the turbo but it should be easier to tune i think. I'm running a Tweecer so i'm hoping the base 90mm LMAF transfer function works good.

9. Lucafu1

any updates?

10. Lincs 84 351

curious to know as well. I have the '04 Cobra MAF.

Where's the best place to buy a MAF extender from?

11. Lucafu1

12. mustang-junky

Isn't there some issue with using a draw threw mass air meter and the blow off valve? Blow off valve opens dumps metered air, motor goes real rich, timing gets all messed up, all for a few seconds every time the blow off valve is opened up.

13. Lucafu1

im gonna be using my SCT in blow through set up. if your using a draw thru meter and have a b/o valve after it then you need to route the air out the b/o back in front of the turbo but behind the meter. thats the right way to do it but some have not and say its not that bad.

14. Lucafu1

thats what i said

15. Lucafu1

lol oh ok :D

16. justin00stang

Myself and other tunes have found that the 05+ slot style MAF sensors work very well in blowthrough. Any time you run a stock sensor in blowthrough it is very likely to peg much sooner, so an extender type device is needed. On my site I carry the aluminum flanges to put either a tonsil style or slot style maf sensor directly into an intercooler tube.