1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

For a semi-budget turbo 5.3 liter LSx build are (CNC) ported heads worth the expense?

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by B'klyn9C1, Mar 12, 2013.

?

For budget turbo builds are ported heads worth it??

1. Yes, alway good even for budget turbo builds

50.0%
  2. No, just turn up the boost an extra 1 or 2 psi

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. B'klyn9C1

What I mean by "semi-budget" is that I willing to buy a high mile junk yard 5.3 LSx like a L33 but instead of just plopping it into my car with just a change of ARP head bolts and valvesprings. I want to give it a good rebuilding with a machined crank, upgrade to good stock Gen IV rods like out of a LS3, fresh bearings and rings, fully balanced rotating assembly and ARP fasteners everywhere.

My power goal is 600 to 700 RWHP in a daily driven 1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1.

There are two schools of thought regarding making big power on turbo setups especially on budget builds. They are the "the foundation of ANY big power setup is set of good flowing heads" and other guys told me "don't bother porting the heads just let the boost do the work".

Bottomline: Are ported stock 799/243 heads or even aftermarket TFS's or AFR's worth the expense on such a build or shall just forget about it apply the money elsewhere and turn up the boost an extra 1 or 2 psi??? Or can you guys here provide me a middle ground solution between those two schools of thought??????

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  2. Minor Threat

Re: For a semi-budget turbo 5.3 liter LSx build are (CNC) ported heads worth the expe

If you take a look at some of the budget builds here, you'll find more than a few hitting your power goals with stock truck heads.

If you really want to spend the money on heads, I would just rock a set of stock 799/243 heads.

Spend the money where it counts on a DD, buy a decent turbo and get a GOOD tune.

3. kad5118

Re: For a semi-budget turbo 5.3 liter LSx build are (CNC) ported heads worth the expe

you also can send your stock heads to tea (totaly engine airflow).they can rebuild your heads to the same spec as the heads that were on the 4.8 in the big bang theory.for $1100.This include the head cnc port job,bigger valves and stiffer valve springs.I believe that head job was just a stage 1.5.those heads supported over 1000 hp.

4. Forcefed86

IMO a complete waste of money for your power goals.

5. chiaj144

If you have the L33 it already has the good rods and 799 heads. Put some valve springs in it and run it. My L33 made just shy of 600 rwhp at 12.8lbs with a little mpt 70. I will dyno it again this spring with the s475 on it and I expect it to be over the 600 mark. There have been a few cam only L33 make over 800rwhp on E85 mind you.