1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Flywheel & Clutch Suggestions / Cast Iron, Billet Steel, Alum / Turbo SBF

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by devo9er, Apr 29, 2016.

1. devo9er

Hey Guys, I'm doing a rebuild in the the next week or two on my old T5. I purchased the Astro Performance A5 kit (450hp/485TQ rating). I'm excited to get this built, I have had the gear set for over a yr but just now getting around to putting it together. The stock WC t5 in their now has started to give up the ghost.

I'm shopping new clutches and think I'm settled on the Ram PowerGrip (26 spline) but I'm open to other suggestions that are around the same price. It's rated to 500rwhp so should give me a bit of overhead on my turbo 306 sbf. I see some people suggest only running these grippier clutches with billet steel flywheels only and never cast iron. Currently I have a stock cast style flywheel on the motor that only has maybe 3k miles on it. I originally was planning on just slapping a clutch and going without replacing or even resurfacing because it's practically new.

The car is 95% street driven and maybe 3-4 trips to the drag strip a yr. What do you guys think?

2. Disney Lincoln

I'd do just what you are saying. RAM power grip on stock flywheel.