1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

want some input on new turbo, 6.0L Sonoma

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by blowthruGT, Oct 28, 2010.

1. blowthruGT

i have a 99 sonoma with an LQ4, truck weighs 3730lbs with me in it. (4l80e, 12 bolt, etc...)
    i want to keep the truck daily-drivable, not really looking to cut weight or anything, i want a turbo that can me into the high 9's.
    id rather not get into whether the stock shortblock can do it, i know with the right tune it can etc...
    i currently own a turbonetics tc-78 with a .96a/r housing with the F1 wheel, although this turbo is rated for about 1000hp... i think i will reach its inefficiency on the exhaust side...
    id like to make 600rwhp right off and have room to grow without changing turbos.

a t6 turbo is almost impossible to fit and id rather stay with the single 3.5" exhaust on the truck etc...
    i was wondering about the PT88 with the t4 turbine, but all i see is the .96a/r and i think with 370ci id be right back where i started exhaust pressure wise...

the turbo i really think i like is the bullseye S380R.... you dont hear too much about this turbo, what i have read is good, but how come more people arent using this on V8 setups...?
    from my reading and guesses i think a S380R with a 1.25 a/r and either the 83 or 87mm turbine wheel would suit me quite good... what do you guys think?
    i already have a 50mm jgs wg, and 56mm jgs bov, and 12x24x4 a2a intercooler, and all the hotside material, but the turbos got me stumped.

id be intersted to hear more about the S380, thanks!

2. JSTFORFN

Also look into the Precision PT88/47 or PT47/88 (can't remember which way it goes). It's a GT47 CHRA with a smaller compressor housing and .96 T4 exhaust housing. It's a bad lil turbo.

Thanks Mike

3. blowthruGT

do you know what size the turbine wheel is?
    because thats what i beleive will be my biggest weakness with the tc-78, is the 68mm wheel....

id like to saty t4, but with a more efficient(larger) turbine...

4. JSTFORFN

Since it's a a Garret CHRA the turbine wheel should be whats on the GT47/88. It's bigger than 68mm for sure. Also the T4 .96 exhaust housing that it comes with is bigger than a normal T4 .96. It's the same size as a PT88.
    Thanks Mike

5. Gen1SVE

92mm turbine in the PT47/88. If you had to stick to a t-4 this is the turbo.

6. skunkxracing

the borgs are great but again you may be limiting yourself with the s380 t4 turbine housing. why not go with the s480 with t6 housing and a bit small a/r. you will have a larger exhaust wheel but smaller housing to gain the spool time back.

7. blowthruGT

Wow 92mm turbine on the pt47-88.. that's gotta be one nasty little package. And its quite a bit smaller than a s400..