1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

First Turbo Build Looking to run mid 10s / 88 coupe 347 s400

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 88foxbody, Nov 24, 2008.

1. 88foxbody

Here are some pictures when I started this project in my garage at home. What do you think?

2. 88foxbody

Re: First Turbo Build Looking to run mid 10s

Here's a pic of the engine bay, motor & trans. The motor is in now and I need to up date my pictures.

3. 88foxbody

A little history of this car, my buddy gave this car to me in running condition FREE!!!! my favorite four letter word.. Had to do alot of bodywork to this car due to it being in Ohio in the snow (RUST SUCKS) and the driverside rear quarter panel was smashed in 3" from the door back.I did all of the work on this car but build the motor & trans, which creperformance took care of. This thing started out to be a daily driver but may have gotten out of hand a little. the motor is a 347 SRP flat top pistons, Eagle crank & eagle H-beam rods, Hydraulic custom grind cam, solid roller lifters, 207 valve pro comp cast steel heads, & ported EFI Edelbrock intake, and a s400 B/W 75mm turbo. Trans is a C4 TCI rebuilt by my freind Chet. I have no idea what this things going to run when its done, but my guess is fast.... And yes the engine bay is black and I plan on painting another BLACK MUSTANG!!!! :cheers:

4. 88foxbody

Here are some up to date picture's. Started this project in FEB. 2007, I have removed every nut & bolt and even all glass when I got the car.

5. Silverfox

What is your compression ratio with those flat top pistons? Get a good tune on it and you'll be running 9's without breaking a sweat!

6. 88foxbody

Silverfox, ratio is 10:1 only issue at this point is I need a fuel system that will allow me to run on the street and not over heat the fuel. I was thinking of running two 255 pumps but not sure if it will work. the only items I have for the fuel system is -6 return line & Aeromotive fuel rails. I really need help at this point.

7. Silverfox

Re: First Turbo Build Looking to run mid 10s *Suggestions / Help!!

I know guys are running two walbro 392 external pumps with success and should be good to roughly 900 hp from what I've read. I've used the A1000 on a nitrous 331(11:1) w/150 shot, no problems and will be using that on my current setup. I think Aeromotive recommends a 10 an feed and 6 an return. I've been using a Aeromotive EFI bypass regulator as well but haven't found a EFI regulator that is 1:1 with same sized feed and return lines.

8. Saul

It's looking good! :2thumbs:

I really like how the rollcage is setup, is it legal for the track though? I thought maybe the bar behind the seat had to extend all the way across? :huh: If not please let me know, that would be a good way to access the rear seat area. :)

9. 88foxbody

I looked at the theturboforums.com modular mustang build up it has the mmrmotorsports (which I can't find) fuel system with two walbro 255 pumps that they say supports 850hp with out over heating 3 gallons of fuel on the street.

Hey Saul,
    I have seen the center bar setup on a few other pro cars so I would hope it would be legal. And yes it is a hell of a lot easer to access the rear seat. I also have two lower bars that connect from the main hoop to the center bar down low. If the car was to ever roll over I would think that center bar would help but I don't make the rules. I would ask team Z or another cage builder to be sure before you build your car that way. Also my side bars are a little low but I'm only building a safe somewhat street car to run mid 10s with out breaking parts every time I run this car.

10. 88foxbody

picked up a oil filter relocating kit today and what do you know the 90 deg. fittings will not work. :bang: The inlet & outlet are to close together so you can't install them unless I put a nipple on one side to stagger the height of the fittings :doh: I need more room time to cut & :welder:

11. 88foxbody

Holy Crap its hard to work with a belly full of turkey!!!! found the answer to my 90 deg. fitting issue, swivel 90 deg. -10an fitting lets me tighten both fittings with out hitting each other. :doh: only thing left on the turbo is building the downpipe & installing the intercooler. :chacha:

12. JoeRacer

Re: First Turbo Build Looking to run mid 10s *Suggestions / Help!! 347 / s400

I have a concern about using the rear seat when you have a cage. While we all hate to give up seats and 'streetability' the fact remains that it is very dangerous to have passengers in the rear when you have a cage. If you have harnesses in the front then the driver and front passenger are strapped in well enough to prevent their heads (with no helmet on the street) from hitting the cage, but the rear passengers are not likely to have as good of restraint. Couple that with the fact that their heads are already closer to the ceiling and sides you have a recipe for turning what would have been an accident everyone would walk away from into a fatal one. I'm an advocate for removing the rear seats once you put in a cage, or just not using them if you want to retain the 'look.' You'll do what you will do, but I just thought I'd share my thoughts on the subject. It's a nice looking build though =). Take care.

13. Coupe Devil

Stock block?

14. 88foxbody

joeracer I do have a set of five point harnesses for the back seat, also the rear bars are high enough that hitting your head would not be an issue unless you are over 6' tall and then you could not get in the backseat anyway. main reason is to be able to put a cooler and a canopy in the back seat for the local car show's. I don't have a trunk :bang:

15. 88foxbody

coupe devil, I have a Hi-PO 289 block. this combo has made 900rwhp. with a precision power turbo 88mm. best of 8.90 1/4 mile 1.34 60ft. time, and only issue to this day after 3 years was a melted piston due to running lean. Bad brush in the weldon fuel pump was the cause.

16. 88foxbody

coupe divil, I should also tell you that this combo was not beat on everyday. the car was tuned & built to run low 10s for true street class and is only a weekend driver.

17. 88foxbody

I still can't figure out what to do about my fuel system :bang: Would like to have a system that could supply enough fuel for up to 1000hp. but have no issue's on the street. Can this be done???? I really don't want to upgrade my system if I want to make more power at a later date...

18. quick1320

the side bar on the cage looks to low to me make sure someone checks that out before you finish,I had a guy from a local chassis shop come by and look at mine to make sure it is safe and legal it only cost me a couple of beers :cheers: good luck body work looks good

19. MiaBlackStang

Doesn't that block still only have 2-bolt mains? If so are you worried about cap walk any?

20. DaOnE51T

Nice build, mid 10's shouldn't be a problem!