1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

First Time On The Dyno With Turbo - Scary A/F ?

Discussion in 'Dyno Results and Track Times Forum' started by C7Z, Aug 7, 2009.

1. C7Z

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

351 Windsor, like my sig says, mods are SRP 8.5:1 pistons, F-303 cam, 1.7 rockers, Victor Jr heads, TFS-R intake, 60lb/hr injectors, 3" PMAS Blow-Through MAF, BG CUSTOM TURBO Master Power T-70 .96/.70

As of now, the stock A9P ECM is untuned. Short of shelling out the $600 for a tune ( doing it the right way ), is there anything ( low - buck ) I can do to richen the motor up until I can afford the tune ?

2. chiaj144

I wouldn't run that engine again. Your asking for problems with that air fuel ratio. My buddy just had the same problem. We tried fuel pressure and it didn't change anything. The Pmas ended up being junk. Put a different MAF on it and it richened right up. You have a fairly decent setup, don't ruin it all over a few hundred dollars. Tune it.
    Your numbers seem very low for the set up you have. How much boost were you running?

3. C7Z

My Tial wastegate has the .7 bar spring ( around 10.5 pounds, I think ). I also forgot to mention that I am using a XPI Timing Lock that is set at 16 degrees when making boost.

4. forbanger

Wow! I can't believe the dyno guy let you run it up to 5k rpm........Twice :ahah: That is flipping nuts.

No pinging or anything???

That's insane :doh:

5. unforgiven

Should be real happy with more fuel. What are you using for the fuel system?

6. C7Z

Actually, the dyno operator was the one mashing the gas pedal, not me. The car has never pinged, popped, backfired or anything of the sort. It runs GREAT, it just seems to lay down around 4500 at WOT and doesn't pull nearly as well as it does in part-throttle lower RPM blasts... Before dynoing it, I actually thought it might have been too fat on top.... No, I don't have a wide band yet. Yes, I plan on getting one soon.

I am using a sumped stock fuel tank ( tank was FULL at dyno session ) with a -10 outlet and -6 return. I have a -10 line going to a -10 Earls 80 micron pre-filter then to a Y block where it splits into two -6 fittings going into a pair of Walbro GSL-392 pumps ( 255 lph each ) then back into another Y block and from there it is -10 line up to my passenger side fuel rail to a -10 line to my drivers side fuel rail into a Aeromotive A1000 pressure regulator which sends excess fuel back to the tank via a -6 line.

Any ideas how much power the lean condition might be robbing me of ?

Here are a few pics of the fuel system :

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Thanks !
    -D Payne

7. franktf

WOW, I'm suprised it lived through that..... I wonder how accurate there a/f is reading.....

8. franktf

I was just looking at these pic's..... Is that your return line on the right side of the sump and your feed line on the left side? If that's what you are doing that's a no no, Because the fuel returning will cause the fuel not to flow freely into the feed line..... The return into the tank away from the feed line.....

9. C7Z

Hmm... That is something to think about. I'm not doubting you, but that is the first I have heard of that being a possible problem. I'm not sure where I'd relocate it to...

10. 10secgoal

You need a new dyno operator man. Either that or he knows the AFR was off. God I hope that was the case

11. C7Z

After the dyno pulls, he said that the wideband MIGHT have been off by a half a point because of how the sensor fit or was inserted into my 3.5" downpipe that somehow it might have picked up SOME oxygen that was actually not coming from the motor. I dunno.....

12. yellowpony

You need to move that return line to the top of the tank, or at least above fuel. Heed these guys advice and find another tuner, I would have been PISSED. Even if it was a half point lean, that is still a scary a/f, and you are flat out lucky it made it for 2 pulls. Just because you can't hear or feel it detonating does not mean it isn't. The amount of money you need to spend to make it right is nothing compared to what it is gonna cost when you break a rod or piston.

Anthony

13. yellowpony

Also, if you look at the graph, and those rpm tables are correct, his dyno is out of whack, the hp/tq numbers should always cross at 5252 rpm, yours cross at 4 something.

14. tbird

Was it lean just idling and street driving. If so the MAF has a problem. Not sure if your in the range of maxing the Maf out.

I think once you start getting near 16.0 there is not enough fuel to even hurt the motor. But IM not saying its okay to make more pulls. IM suprise the dyno operator didnt make some small quick pulls to see what the AFR was before making a full pull.

15. C7Z

I noticed that too and was wondering what the deal was there.... If I am not mistaken, HP always = torque at 5252, right ? It's just how the formula for calculating horsepower works....

At idle, it runs so rich it will foul the plugs at a long light. Street driving it seems fine. The operator did some part throttle "driving" on the dyno after the first pull and it was showing good A/F ratios. it was only lean on the WOT pulls. My MAF is a PMAS 3" blow-through tube calibrated for my 60lb injectors.

16. franktf

That's a good catch, I didn't even notice it at first..... There was definately something F'd up with that dyno and operator.....

17. chiaj144

There is nothing wrong with that dyno graph. The horsepower/torque are not on the same scale.

18. 93PONY

You will never get acutate a/f or power readings on a dynojet with a turbo.
    You need an AFX wideband, $20 dataloger for it, and have your tuner dial it in at the track/street.

I own a chassis dyno. A/f with my ECM wideband on the dyno is much like yours. On the street the a/f is flat & perfect.

19. 10secgoal

Why is that ? As long as the car sees full boost, don't see why they wouldn't be accurate numbers.

20. unforgiven

Some people believe that there is a sync problem between the dynojet wideband and the rest of the Winpep software. I'm undecided so far. What I do know is that using a sniffer set-up for tuning a car is ridiculous. I always take the time to weld a bung into the exhaust for the wideband. Yes, it takes more time. Yes, it costs a little more. Once you do it however it's there and you can always use it. The sniffer is great for times when you want a quick reading but I think a lot of operators use it to avoid getting under the vehicle. (part of the reason we set ours up above ground)
    The other problem with tuning a turbo car on a Dynojet is a lack of load control. There is an eddy current unit ($$$) available for the 224x and some of the 248s have a prop brake. (which was discontinued a while ago) The last time I spoke with them Supertune didn't have load control. The lack of load control will affect the amount of boost you are seeing at a given RPM and subsequently affect A/F ratio. Tune it on the dyno and it will be leaner once it hits the pavement. I always tune them on the road with Innovate wideband and data acquisition.