1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Finished installing turbo! Heating issues

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by johnbacon911, Feb 17, 2016.

1. johnbacon911

Hi, im new to this forum, I have a chevy 65 impala, inline 6 230 with stock engine internals. I have installed a draw through turbo setup with a t3 t4 ebay turbo and it works great. I did see right now a 5 psi boost and it feels great. tomorrow i will connnect it to the rest of the exhaust (i have just done a downpipe and leaving hangin the reat of the exhaust). And do some other runs.

The only thing that I dislike is that before the turbo, water temperature was about 160F, and now its 190F. I know its not too hot but still it bothers me a little.

Im thinking of buying heat wrap and a turbo heat shield. Do you think its the best thing to do for engine bay cooling and engine itself cooling or buying a bigger radiator would be better.

Thanks

PS. Please dont talk about the fact is an ebay turbo or a bad setup (draw through). Im just trying to have fun, not win a race

2. M&M Turbochargers

how are you controlling timing??

3. johnbacon911

with a HEI distribuitor, now that u mencion it, I have to set it right. If I sink the pedal accelerating the car just tries to shut off. I have to gradually ease the pedal to begin boosting, when im around 2.5k rpm i can stomp the pedal hard.

What do you recommend for timing?

4. M&M Turbochargers

if you run the timing to slow it will most of the time cause heat,, on our first gen sbc high teens under boost and about 32-35 at cruise,, you may be able to lock out or limit your mechanical adv. to get 17-18 and use the vac advance to bring your timing to low 30's when out of boost

5. TomR

I would look at the draw through system first, assuming you have not messed with timing and now you have a problem.

The restriction of a turbo will trap more heat in the engine, and all that piping makes the engine compartment much hotter, but a large part of it might be you are now disturbing the fuel mixture and significantly increasing intake air temperature at light throttle. A blower is bad enough, but a turbo is like an exhaust powered heater warming up the air and fuel.

You're also putting the pump shot that occurs with throttle crowds a longer distance away from the intake.

Frankly, I think a blow through would have been a whole lot better at light throttle. The closer to the cylinder the fuel is injected, the better an engine works.

6. 96lt4c4

A lot of people don't know this. But the old turbo charged Corvairs had a vacuum retard on the distributor. They would actually retard the timing under boost. You may look into finding one of those.

It looks exactly the same as the vacuum advance but worked just the opposite.