1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Could I add a turbo to my current n/a set up

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Twstedstang, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Twstedstang

Was mainly wondering if my heads, cam, intake could be used with a turbo and work well. and if so whats the best size of turbo to run for best performance..

short brief of my engine set up:
    -351 windsor ford
    -Crower cam. roughly .545" lift and 235 duration @ .050" and 112 lobe seperation (cant find my parts book atm for exact spec)
    -patriot heads, 185cc, 2.02 int/1.60exh
    -Victor Jr intake single plane
    -holley 750 carb
    -stock bottom end *BUT WILL REBUILD FORGED WITH LOW COMPRESSION FOR TURBO*

engine makes roughly 360hp at the flywheel..
    in a 90 mustang that weighs 2950lbs..
    set up ran a best of 12.68 @ 108.8MPH in the 1/4.

What turbo size and boost # would get me into the 10's in the 1/4 mile?

2. Twin Turbo Skylark

Sounds good to me! What is your actual compression? If your compression is under 10:1 I would run it like that that on 10 PSI of boost... I prefer twin turbos due to dual exhaust, and routing. Have a look at my thread and see what I did. I went with a chemical intercooler (water methanol) so that I could keep the routing simple from the turbos straight up to the carb. Another factor is that on the street I am only planning to run 5 PSI of boost so I really only need the intercooling at the track for a quick 10-11 second blast so the water meth. injection is better suited to my needs vs and air ro air intercooler. Mine are T3/T4 hybrid turbos and they should spool up great with my 353 incch Buick engine. I can look up the specs but my turbos would work well for you as well I bet..

Others can help more if you prefer a single turbo. There are a few advantages of a single:

1. Less cost for only one turbo
    2. Easier to route to an air to air intercooler

And the downside is that you need to fit a really large down pipe on one side of the engine and you do not have a dual exhaust.

Here is an article I wrote and published about Turbocharging Basics:

[​IMG]#ad

3. Twstedstang

bought the engine stock running with unknown .030 over cast pistons.. with the new heads compression is probably 9:1 or 9.5:1 at the absolute most. the rings are pretty much gone now though lol.. dont think i can add boost to that

and ya I would prefer running a single turbo to save cash.

would 10psi really be safe if i did a stock rebuild?

4. Twin Turbo Skylark

There are garantees if anything is "safe"... Sure if you have to rebuild it then you might as well use some stronger rods or at least forged psitons... I know I saved about 250 grams per piston and rod assembly and I increased the HP handling potential by about 250 HP vs stock parts... Just keep in mind that a good tune is far more important to make an engine live compared to how good the parts are... A bad tune, too much timing, too hot of air intake temps etc can kill even the best engine built for 2000 HP...

I see no reason why 10 PSI would not work well without any mods to the engine... Like I said if the timing, air/fuel, and intake tepms are all in check it should be fine... The problem is you will want 15 PSI after you get used to 10 PSI and you will need some sort of intercooler if you get up there in boost.. Might as go with an air to air intercooler with a single turbo if you plan to crank up the boost later.

5. Twstedstang

Ya If I had to rebuild I'd buy forged rods and pistons for sure.

and I've been looking at the 'Pony down' 70mm single turbo kit that come with intercooler and everything else for around $3200US. just still unsure if I should go smaller or bigger on the turbo size with my combination. but I'll wait for the single turbo guys to get in here haha. thanks for the help!

6. Mnlx

If you're looking for a budget single turbo, look at the ebay gt45, it has proven itself to be a great turbo for the money, and has a turbine that is pretty well suited to your cid, and can be had in a 68, 76, or 80 mm compressors. If looking to spend more the Borg Warner S series is popular, but is a physically larger turbo, and can be had in t4, or t6 turbine housings. Vs racing, a sponsor here, is a good guy to deal with, and carries the gt45, BW, and others.

7. 91turboterror

What's your hp goal?

8. Twstedstang

I still want a quality name turbo. I'll check out the BW though.

550 - 600 at the wheels.

which will put me at a mid to really low 10 in the 1/4

9. 91turboterror

A 76 mm turbo is in the ballpark a heads cam intake 351 would consume more air than a stock 351. The 70 mm turbo is on the small side for a stock 351 never mind an engine like yours.

10. jridenour31

Heads and intake will be fine, cam will depend on a few things, the main thing is turbine size. You'll need a pretty good size turbine with that much overlap. I would go with an s475 with an 83mm turbine minimum. A p-trim or q-trim isn't going to cut it with 11 degrees of overlap @.050". A 7675 would work very well and leave you tons of room to grow.

11. jridenour31

There's more to picking a turbo than compressor size. Saying a 70mm is too small for a 351 isn't accurate. The compressor is sized based on pressure ratio and desired horsepower, engine size has nothing to do with it. The turbine, however, does depend on engine size and rpm, among other things.

12. davashcow

Research the above mentioned company very extensively. Just sayin.

13. rdisher68

Look up bullseye turbos.. better than a precision turbo in my opinion and a lil cheaper..