1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Find out amount of oil flow/pressure required by turbo.

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Onime, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Onime

First of all I see you guys understand a lot about Turbos.

I cannot find any info, about how to find out what amount of oil pressure/flow is correct for particular turbo. On google or in other documentation about building turbo systems I always came up with answer that says "See OEM specs." But what if there is no specs for the turbo that I have?!

Do you know any physical test/method, to find out these variables without having OEM specs?

2. Jeremy

Generic specs, 30-40psi, 4an feed for journal bearing 3an feed for ball bearing. 10an drain or larger.

3. Onime

Thank you for your reply. OK, my one is journal bearing and I already got -4 feed line. So I should have 30-40psi when engine/oil is hot, yes? under boost or idle?

4. Jeremy

Just an average for the operating range. 15-20psi at warm idle with spikes to 50-60 at wot etc. Cars with higher volume/pressure oil pumps usually need a restrictor if you see more than 50-60psi. I know my car with vct saw 90-100psi cold start and 70-80psi at wot and I had to run a restrictor and even then the seals didn't last more than 3-6 months on my car. After 3 turbo's and numerous rebuilds in 2 years I said screw it and went oil-less turbo best decision I ever made and well worth it.