1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Finally took the truck down the drag strip!

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by Bowtie Guy, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Bowtie Guy

Yeah... Out of 5 runs, I made a best pass of : 16.54 @ 85.93mph... Had a reaction time of 0.933, 60ft time of :bang: 2.89 (needs some more carb tuning and a different cam)... 1/8th at 10.67 @ 68.30... My ride is: 90 Chevy full size with a SBC 350, 9:1CR, twin turbo pushing 8psi thru a home brewed Holley 750 DB carb... Truck is 4wd (just was running in 2wd) and weighs 4975 with me in it and a half tank of fuel... Ran pretty damn good imo for the first time I've EVER drag raced... Now this next weekend Im swaping some stuff out... Cam swap first... I didnt know that the cam that I thru in it (just a stocker style GM cam, for a fuel injected 85 vette) is in it IS NOT turbo happy, or even happy with my setup... so now I got a cam on the bench that was recommended to me for my setup... I'm also throwing on a intercooler... cause Its heat soaking quite easily... plus I want to safely up the boost lol... but yeah... Ran good for the first time out... and here's the kicker... Drove it 45 minutes from my home to the drag strip, ran 5 times, then drove home... Ran great the whole time :) LONG LIVE THE BLOW-THRU!!! lol...
    Bowtie Guy

2. blown385

Glad to see its running good . :2thumbs:

Needs more boost . ;)

3. 65cobra

I agree with blown385 on the needs more boost part ;) Slap a water/meth kit on there and up it some!!! I have been wanting to get a 90's chevy truck for some time now and do something similar. Got pics?? What are you running for ignition??

4. Bowtie Guy

Oh I'll do ya one better... heres my build thead ;) https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105183.0 The ignition is a hi energy HEI style ignition... Works good for my setup... even though I know I'm leaving some power on the line using it.. but hey it works ;) Well either tomorrow or Saturday its comming in... Just got my last round of parts shipped in... New parts list: Intercooler and cold side piping, New Cam (better suited for my combo) and some more carb tuning and boost... it should run 13's or 14's... matters if I can keep my tires planted lol... Last pass of the day they were screeching... not spinning, but screeching pretty good.. and that was only a 16.54 (wasn't leaving the line worth a shit... my fault... didn't have the carb setup for drag racing and street driving...).. So we'll see... I'll update the build thread when I get all the parts in, and see if next weekend I can get some new times :chacha:
    Bowtie Guy

5. 65cobra

Just went thru the thread...heck of a project!! :chacha: I'm running straight hei ignition too...without a box. Are you running locked out timing?

6. BlownShovel

Nothing wrong with an HEI.. A fear of the stock coil and oveheating the magnetic pickup used to happen to my car about once a year until I went external coil.. eventually adding an MSD 6al that eliminated the pickup.

7. patl

Cool truck. Like to see how fast it goes.
    I've got a 93 thats has a single holset on it. 200k mile blow the engine project.

8. Bowtie Guy

Thanks man.. Yeah I locked out the mechanical advance... but still have the vac advance working... had to do some mods to make it work right... but it works like a charm.... I'm running a MSD blaster coil, and all the goodies.... seems to work good for me... Just started tearing into it today... Got the carb off and metering blocks modded (changing over to dual BRPV's instead of running just one) and started tearing it apart to swap the cam... Intercooler showed up yesterday :) So yeah... I cant wait to get it all changed up and back at the track... Pics comming up tonight... plus going to update the build thread later too...
    Bowtie Guy

9. 65cobra

Blownshovel, you were one of the guys that helped me out back when I first setup the car. I remember you were one of the few proponents of straight hei when I was first looking into going that way. When yours was having issues were you driving the car on the street for long periods?

Mine is pretty much strictly a street car and I have yet to have any probs....fingers crossed ;)

10. 65cobra

I have mine locked out at 24 degrees right now and she's running great. I have been debating trying to get the vac advance to work. What mods did you do to the vac advance? btw, do you have any sort of rev limiter? I got an MSD HEI module that has built in rev limiter, works great.

11. patl

I'm lucky enough to live within 2mil of my local track and there's another 3 tracks within a 30 mil radius. :D
    I really like these trucks. I would like to share some stock 8th mile times for these.
    94 350 3.42 gears =10.70 (flip aircleaner upsidedown = 10.20)
    97 vortec 350 3.42 = 9.67
    Both had 60ft's around 2.20.
    I got a challenge on here that I can go low 8's in the 8th on a high mileage stock 350/stock tire truck.
    I'm still working on mine so maybe you can do it. :cheers:
    Keep us posted.

12. Bowtie Guy

Well hmm.... that has me thinking... Hmm :hmm: Heres my times from my fastest time slip:
    Reaction: 0.933
    60ft: 2.8951
    1/8mile et: 10.6788
    1/8mile mph: 68.30
    1/4mile et: 16.54
    1/4mile mph: 85.93

You can tell with my 60fts... it was leaving like a pig... my fault cause I had the wrong squirter setup in the carb... WAAAYY to much fuel... plus I couldn't ever leave the line with any boost at all (converter has a really low stall... just might have to swap that out ;) )... Well I promise I'll have some pics up tonight... Cam is swapped... and just putting it back together now... Also installed hood pins finally... cause I had to eliminate the stock center support that held the hood latch in order to make a custom support that will house my new intercooler ;)
    Bowtie Guy

13. Nice Chevelle

good job...congrats...ya gotta lovce that edreniline rush when you run the truck! :2thumbs:

with new cam, converter, carb tweeking, launching practicing ....you'll be in the 12s in no time

than meth and more boost .....

:2thumbs:

14. Bowtie Guy

Thanks for the props :2thumbs: I'd be ecstatic if I can get it into the high thirteens lol... remember... I drive this thing DAILY ;) lol... Well heres some pics finally :D Pic of the hood pins I put on it... there actually pins for a tractor emplament from a local dealer.. worked quite well, plus there hardened ;)
    [​IMG]#ad

And heres some pics of my Intercooler installed ;) the first ones were before I finished welding and painting it... last ones a current pic.. plumbing it is going to be a b*tch... lol...
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Bowtie Guy

15. patl

Working out the combo is 95% of the fun IMO, but some might think I'm a little off. :stupid:
    You gonna hide that cooler (black paint) on that sleeper truck?? :2thumbs:

16. blown385

Looks good . :2thumbs: When you get it routed post some more pics . I'm curious how you do it .