1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Crazy first week of 09 for the Dart, first drive, first race, first win!

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by topfueldart, Jun 16, 2009.

1. topfueldart

Well heres the quick and dirty.. I've been building a Dana 60 from scratch and mini-tubbing my Dart for the past couple months, and got fairly close to being ready last week. I set the goal to race it this Saturday evening, knowing I had alot of work ahead of me yet to make it in time.
    I finished the rear spring hangers, completing the mini tub on Monday night, woke up Tuesday and called the local driveshaft to have a new piece built. He took my deposit and called me after 4pm saying no one makes a 904-1350 yoke :doh: Well I knew he was wrong, so I called Inland Empire and ordered the yoke to be shipped to me so the shaft could be built. They said UPS had just left so it wouldnt ship til Wednesday, so I had it overnighted.
    Wednesday: I changed the oil and did some basic cleanup on the car in preparation of the weekend.
    Thursday came, and the yoke didnt show til 6pm :bang:
    Thursday night, I ripped the turbo kit off the car to change a leaking exhaust gasket and got that finished. Worked on the car til 430 AM with a buddy, finishing the rear brake lines and bleeding the brakes.
    Friday: I drove the yoke to the driveshaft shop in the AM to be built same day. Had a graduation to attend in the afternoon, did that, then picked up the shaft on the way home, installed it and worked til 11pm. Came home, welded the spring perches in place, installed the drag radials, and set the car on the ground. Crashed at 430 again with a big day ahead of me.
    Saturday: Woke up at 830, and backed the car out of the garage for the first time with the Dana, drove it about 15 miles to drop the car off to simplify the day ahead of me. My brother was graduating from college 100 miles away, so we dropped the cars off closer to the track so we could just pick them up in the afternoon without returning home and head straight to the track. Drove the 100 miles, sat and watched Graduation, left the college town at 3:30, with 100 miles to go. The track opens at 4.
    Picked up the cars right at 5, and drove the 10 miles to the track without issues. Hurried through tech, paid for the tech card, and threw some race gas in the car to be safe... Hit the fuel pump switch, and the car died...... :swear:
    Figured the needle and seat was stuck, so I started messing with that and missed my first time hit....
    Got the carb situation cleared up and waited for the call. I've been racing sportsman class for points all year, which is 12.0 and slower, so I knew i'd need to slow the car down to be legal.
    Made the first and only time hit, left really soft knowing that would kill some ET and the car went 2.00 60', 12.06 @ 115.7 which is right where I wanted to be.
    First round dialed 12.01 and left it on the window all night, went .016 on the tree, and pedaled it to a 12.13. MOV, .028
    Second round, went .048 and pedaled it to a 12.12, MOV, .022
    Third Round, went .056, and cruised it out to a 12.05, killing 25 MPH.. HUGE MOV, 1.01
    Fourth Round, went .055, pedaled to a 12.11, MOV .072
    Fifth Round got a bye, went .042, and ran it to 1000', stomped the brakes and went 12.10
    Final Round was the best race of the night, I went .034 to his .019, I was running him down and new it would be close... He went under by .05, and took a .02 stripe, I went .045 under... 11.968 @ 114 MOV, .008 :2thumbs:

It was by far, the most gratifying night of racing I've ever had so far. And an awesome end to an extremely hectic week.

IMG_0035rs.jpg #ad

2. 74Dart

bad ass. :cheers:
    good job on the Dart man. thats one bad car. How much more does it have in it?

3. CW25

Yes awesome job. :2thumbs:

4. Anthony Fury

Awesome man - love the car!

5. Shaker223

Killer Stance on the car. Well done! :D

6. topfueldart

Alot... I'll start making progress shortly, gonna try and have a little fun without before taking it apart again though...

I've got heads, and a converter just waiting to go on the car..

7. mopower209

just wondering what motor set up you have? are you the car that had done the junkyard build?

8. topfueldart

Started out junkyard 318, then put decent stuff in the bottom, but theres no reason a stock motor wouldnt live at this level with a good handle on the tune... Top end is still basically junk...
    318 +.030, Speed Pro forged pistons, H-beams (cheap insurance)
    Cometics
    Stock 1.88 valve heads
    .467/.494 lift Crane Cam
    Air Gap
    650 DP
    Stock 904
    Stock Converter
    3.54 gears in a Dana 60, cuz it broke the 8 3/4 twice :D
    3550 Race weight

9. turbofreek

good job dude.

where did you pick up a dana 60 at?

10. turboscamp

awesome car :2thumbs: love the stance and wheels gives me even more ideas of what i want to do with my scamp once i can afford it. :cheers:

11. topfueldart

I just bought a core from some ford truck, narrowed it, ordered all the parts, set the gears up and assembled everything myself...

12. -Freak-

What do you think it will run all out?
    Sounds like all your hard work paid off with a hell of a good time at the track!

Got any more pictures of your car at the track or a rear shot of your car after the mini tub? I need a new wallpaper. :2thumbs:

13. topfueldart

All out is relative i suppose.. it went 11.56 last year.. with the converter I have and a brake im sure it would go 10's... but like I said above, im doing too good in points to chase ET at this point...

My new wheels showed up today, ill get some pics later this week after my tires arrive...

14. rdakota340

I almost missed this thread congrats on the win post up the pics when you get a chance for sure :2thumbs:

15. -Freak-

How do the new wheels look?

16. topfueldart

You tell me? :2thumbs:

Brand new Toyo TQ Drag Radials... 345/40/17... This is the largest Drag Radial you can buy, and the largest tire that will fit under a mini tubbed Dart...

IMG_0219rs.jpg #ad

17. -Freak-

PERFECT!!!! :2thumbs:
    Got any from directly behind so we can see the stance?
    Need to see the full ass not just a cheek. :lh:

Hopefully my 71 Dart will be just as cool and as fast someday.