1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Finally got the car out for some TNT

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by Pontiac4ever, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Pontiac4ever

Got out to TNT Friday night for the first time this year. Wanted to just make sure the car was going to go straight and not do anything stupid after all the changes over the past 6 months. Had a soft tune up in it, the air was terribly hot and humid and the track was torn up from all the street cars. Went out and made a soft footbrake launch and ran it out to about 500', no drama. So next pass launched off the brake at 4500 and ran it out the back door. Went 8.8x @ 153 with a weak 1.33 60'. Made 1 more t-brake pass to the 1/8th after that 5.6x @ 125. Car went nice and straight all night, steering was nice and everything seemed to be working so I'm happy.

For those that don't know since starting in January, I cut the old cage out and built a 'moly 25.5 cage, built a new spoiler / chute mount, re-did the factory front crossmember with tubing, installed new TRZ front tubular a-arms, and installed a front Pinto steering rack. Also fabbed a removeable trans crossmember, blower support, overflow can for trans, and alternator mount. Only changes to the motor are larger 2-1/4" headers with slip on collectors and I fabbed up some bullet mufflers. Still have to build the new Fab9 / Strange Ultra rear end sometime this year. We had a baby in January so its been tough getting stuff done, and still is. Slowly but surely.

Here's a link to some pics:
    http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562329448SmJaMj?start=24

Hoping to take the car out next month to our local heads up race.

2. Pontiac4ever

Oh yeah, almost forgot the best part. I re-weighed the car also and I LOST almost 100#. Mostly with the front suspension/steering but also I think the cage is 10# or more lighter. I was excited about that.

3. Injected65

Looks good man. Is the next heads up race at Ozark?

Chris

4. Procharged GTA

Hi Chris,how are you? I think the next shootout is at Ozark August 1st and 2nd,it is a Main Event shootout,there should be quite a few cars there,if the rain will hold off!! I'm not sure when the next Mako race is. Wish we had our car ready,probably won't till next year,unless things get going better!!

Brian

5. jdpepper

That's some good shakedown passes mang :2thumbs:

What does it normally 60' and what rear suspension?

6. Procharged GTA

Nice work on the car Craig,it's lookin good!! Are you gonna bring it to the shootout at Ozark? If so,what class you gonna be running?

Later,Brian

7. cobrasan

:drool2: my favorite poncho

8. Slim

Glad to see you got the car out Craig, Looks good....

9. Pontiac4ever

Thanks guys. Ladder bar rear suspension. On a -good- track I have been low low 1.2x 60's and even high 1.1x's. On this particular track I don't think I've been in the 1.2's at all, if so they were high 1.2x's. It was spinning pretty bad right at the hit.

Next shootout race I was hoping to get out to is the one at Ozark. I'll have to run Outlaw 10.5 until I get the new rear end built and buy some new 29.5x10.5's. Then I'm going to run True 10.5. It won't be competitive running with cars in the 4.6-4.8's but fun anyway for the time being. I have a couple smaller blower pullies in the trailer now though too that might help some. ;)

I'm just stoked to have the car running again. When I was doing my garage alignment a couple weeks ago I found that the rear axle was shifted 5/8" off center to the driver side and 1/4" further back on the pass side. And it had a bunch of preload on the driver side to keep it going straight (go figure). This was a last little remnant from the previous owner. I spent about 2 days with a tape measure / plumb bob mapping out the entire chassis and setting the caster/camber and bump steer. Got a little help from Mark at Tydo race cars with some 4 corner scales too. Not fun, but its paying off I think.

Craig

10. Brent Davis

AWESOME Craig. 100 lbs lighter is ALOT to loose but more to gain on the track. At least you are making passes :cheers:. Keep up the great work.

11. Jake

Kickass Craig!!! Cant wait to see it! :welder:

12. BlownChevyII

Sweeeet!!! Great looking pics!!!

13. Pontiac4ever

Thanks Jake. I hope your not pissed at me for keeping your mock up tires for so damn long. :doh: Should be able to get them back to you soon hopefully. I'm going to throw them on my new beadlocks 8) soon to get some measurements for the new rear end then I'll be done with 'em. Sorry buddy, I owe ya one!

Craig

14. Jake

Not at all buddy! You can keep them for as long as you need. I've got a set on the wheels for the Camaro to mock already. :welder:

15. SpeedAddict

Man, that is one fine looking car! :2thumbs: Good luck and keep going faster.

SpeedAddict