1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo cam will this work

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Randy1966, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Randy1966

2. Punk.Kaos

Will it work? Yes. But its not ideal, preferably you want a lot less overlap and a wider lobe separation. Something like 114 degrees separation is about right for most motors.

I build Mopars not Chevy, but if that were a Mopar cam I'd call it an old school big block cam. Something with a big lumpy idle and doesn't make power until like 4500RPM. That cam is going to bleed a lot of the boost right out the exhaust valve due to the high overlap instead of using it to make power.

3. Randy1966

Totally new to this , it doesn't hook up at all in first or second now. It's a 454, 30 over 30cc dome pistons 10.2 compression this cam all forged internals. Brodix rr heads rpm air gap intake and this cam. So I need to change the cam for boost ?

4. Punk.Kaos

Depends on what your goals are, you don't NEED to but if you want to make the most power you'll want to.

To be fair, I've got a very similar cam on a 426 Wedge in my '66 Plymouth with twin turbos and I do just fine. It makes for a bit of a dog off boost and a GIANT pain tuning off boost because the turbo blows a lot of the fuel charge right out the other side of the engine at low RPM so the wideband O2 is basically useless... But it put down 885HP on the local dyno before it lost traction on the dyno and couldn't get an accurate final reading at 20psi.

5. mld54

Try what you have and drive the car, see how it works. Then if you feel you need to change the cam, get a custom cam specific to you application and goals.

B E N likes this.
  6. Randy1966

Can I run 10-2-1 compression on pump gas ? I know I need to regain the rings either way.

7. Mnlx

I don't like it.. the overlap will help bleed some cylinder pressure, but imo 10.2:1 is too much on a bbc unless you plan to rely on meth injection for detonation control. Narrow lobe separation cams have worked, but typically require a turbo, or turbos with a lot of turbine flow. Far from ideal.

B E N likes this.
  8. Forcefed86

Just taking random shots in the dark without knowing the whole combination. What turbo(s) are installed? Do you know the exhaust back pressure vs manifold pressure?

With healthy relatively large "drag oriented" turbos, back pressures can be kept in check at 1:1 or close to it. You can most definitely cam it like its NA without any issue. You'll actually make more power per pound this way vs installing a typical lazy low overlap "turbo cam".

Sounds like if you have issues hooking up now, its fine. Simply setup some sort of progressive power. IE timing control, boost by speed, boost VS time etc…