1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1980 gmc shortbox

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 250turbo, Mar 3, 2024.

1. 250turbo

Starting a build. I have a couple c10's one is a 1980, the other a 1987 step side.
    The 80 is going to get built.
    Its a factory 250 inline 6 3 on the tree
    So far i have a new to me 250, recent rebuild as there is still paint on the exaust manifold from the rebuild.
    I plan on junkyard turbowing it. 20240222_125000.jpg #ad
    20221009_140729.jpg #ad

tbird, Russell, Pro-SC and 2 others like this.
  2. 250turbo

First will be get it rolling under its own power. Its at my inlaws. They have a large shop i can use to swap the motor.
    I have this cam from comp on order
    RPM Operating Range:800-4,800
    Grind Number:252H
    https://www.compcams.com/high-energy-206-206-hydraulic-flat-cam-for-chevrolet-194-250-inline-6.html

I am trying to find a used 4 barrel intake with no luck so far. I may need to touch up on my welding skills and build one.
    Im also after a stock exaust manifold off of old grain trucks thats even harder to find.

Anyways, it needs body work/drivetrain work so i fugure its a good candidate to learn on.
    the plan is to run it on propane i would love to use e85 but we dont have it around here.

Im currently reading this. So if my questions sound stupid its because im stupid (about said subject) not ignorant.
    https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/please-read-welcome-to-the-newbie-tech-forum.312370/
    Im struggling to understand applying turbo mapping to the engine i will be using.
    I somewhat know my goal is 300+ hp, with even more torque. I know i got to up my engine VE before i get to deep into turbocharging but thats about it. Maybe tag along to watch me scatter an engine not on purpose, thats how most things i do turn out first try.
    Also i have a good hx35 with a h1c hot side i may start with.

3. C-lab

Looks like a cool project, brother. Look forward to seeing updates!

4. 250turbo

Alright. cam still hasn't showed. was told 4 to 6 more weeks. I purchased some flat top pistons to increase the VE. It should bump um to just over 9 to 1. 200+ hp seems to be pretty common on these engines N/A. more engine lower boost seems safer to me. I want to run pretty low gears 4.56 or 4.88 so the engine will rev a little high at highway speeds. My question is how to size a quick spooling turbo with it running in vacuum not boost at cruise. I've read a bunch, but i can only take in so much. This world is new to me. is there any turbo choice for dummies that you would recommend or a youtube channel that truly has help you out. I've read, I've watched. its sinking in but not fast. I appreciate any help.
    Thanks
    Also. since I wont have a N/A dyno chart/graph, is it a guess? I wish bench top racing was more precise

5. TurboSnake281

The turbo dosent spool without load being placed on the engine. You want a turbo that operates in the range of you engine size power goal to turbo rpm at defined points by a turbo chart graph that you create on a website. However don’t be limited to the turbo graph because it’s only for refrence. You want a ball bearing turbo to ensure quick spool and no lag. The wastegate is controlling how much rpm’s the turbo is spinning at to create set boost level based on the wastegate spring.

250turbo likes this.
  6. Pro-SC

250turbo likes this.
  7. 250turbo

thanks guys. what are your opinions on wastegates at low PSI. My goal is to keep it simple so im leaning towards internal. ive read that external are a little more precise but im not sure with a lower power/boost setup if i will even be able to notice. all my turbo experience had been with small diesels and all of them have been internal

8. TurboSnake281

It dosent matter if internal or external. External is better for problem isolation and ease of working on in my opinion.

9. B E N

Running low boost on an internal gate can be a challenge with gasoline, internal gates tend to be very small.

10. 62CometTurbo

External for sure! You'll have more options down the road, and more control right now. Low boost especially you need MORE wastegate, to let all the extra exhaust flow out. Otherwise you can end up with some boost creep/control problems. Not that I'm making a ton of power but I'm using two wastegates to make sure I don't inadvertently make too much boost.

11. 250turbo

Still no cam, hopefully here soon. pistons going in this weekend, clifford intake purchased on ebay this morning. ill take some pictures. next is to gap the piston rings. budget build doesnt feel budget right now.
    im into it for a grand and still havent bought a turbo. oh well. still searching for a exaust manifold, i missed out on one on ebay.

12. Pro-SC

I know what you mean about how expensive everything can be. I would imagine that cam will take time as comp must have had to grind that for you. So it’s going to be a blow through propane deal, never have done propane but I did see years ago a guy running a Ford Maverick with a 300 six turbo on propane. From what I understand propane gives the equivalent to pretty high octane gas, don’t remember much about that or even what it takes to get a propane rig running with a turbo but it has been done. There is a cool you tube video but it is a 300 ford six that came from some industrial pump and they ported the head, did a cam, intake and it made really impressive numbers. I want to build one one day, makes for an excellent truck engine.

13. 250turbo

ive watched that episode a bunch of times. there are a few good inline 6 youtube videos.

Pro-SC likes this.