1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Fighting Gremlins!!! Please HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by Bad_Blk_Notch, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Bad_Blk_Notch

hey guys i just bought a 96 cummins this past fall and it ran fine until recently when old man winter took ahold. i dont know wat, if any effects modifications to the truck would have but it has a Holset HX-40, bigger injectors, timing was advanced, clutch, and the governer springs have been swapped out. OK now for the problem, ill walk out, hop in the truck, fire the truck up and it runs for 15-20 seconds and then shuts itself off, so i thought maybe it was bleeding back in the fuel lines and the only reason it started was fuel that was left in the injector pump, once it used that little fuel up....it died. but it doesnt do that if i have the truck plugged in. It doesnt matter how cold it is, plugged in works. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECITATED seeing that this truck is my only transportation.

Josh

2. truckman

3. Bad_Blk_Notch

keeping it running with the throttle does not help, it still dies after 15 seconds or so. after that its a big pain in the a$$ to start and usually requires a small squirt of wake up juice.

4. truckman

5. HOTMOPR

the little rubber lines on the pump have probably cracked and are letting air into the lines. Its a common problem.

6. Colt

I've heard that, and I've also been told about the o-rings on the delivery valves on the pump..

Thats what it sounds like to me too, it's running long enough to burn the fuel in the pump and lines, but it's sucking air before the pump...

Ultra low sulfer diesel has the bad habit of drying out o-rings and rubber lines.. Ever since they switched, we have done nothing but replace injection pump o-rings on older equipment. We change them so often the warehouse runs out of parts, and many times are on back order for months... Even my 7.3 has had a crap load of fuel leaks since the switch..

7. HOTMOPR

I have swapped delivery valves many times and have never had a problem with the seals. If those hoses have never been changed I would bet it's the problem.

8. Colt

Really? Hell I look at a delivery valve wrong and the bitch will leak lmao