1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How to determine what to let rev limiter to on transbrake

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by actmobmar, Jul 19, 2019.

1. actmobmar

What would be a good place to start as far as setting the rev limiter on the transbrake? Car has a sbc, twins, 4l80 and 3400 stall 9.5" converter. Thanks!!!

2. Mnlx

I would start low, and work your way up. You can test most anywhere and find your desired launch boost level, but there are times where 100-200 rpm change on some cars can go from a controlled launch to something much more violent.

actmobmar likes this.
  3. actmobmar

So basically if want to set the limiter where it's making boost?

4. Mnlx

Yes, its trial and error. Itll typically make more boost the longer you're on the 2 step so its rpm and time.

5. actmobmar

So I ran it on the brake, started at 3500, went up to 3900, and I'm only building 2.5 psi. I even tried to retard the timing while on the brake and that didn't seem to help

6. Mnlx

You're on the 2 step at that rpm? Like posted in your other thread, it's not unusual to retard to atdc to get some boost if you don't have load, and/or rpm. If you go on the brake without the two step, at what rpm do you start to really load the engine, or build more than 2.5 psi? If your converter is loose enough, you'll need to rely more on exh energy from the two step limiter, and late timing to make boost.

actmobmar likes this.
  7. actmobmar

I started at 3500 rpm as far as settings, and worked my way up to 3900, which gave me 2.5 psi. The problem with the msd and timing is as soon as u hit the button it immediately retards timing, and engine felt lazier and lazier coming up the more timing I pulled out of it. Another issue I just realized is the fitech is probably dumping fuel in it once it hits the rpm limiter on the msd

8. Bad Medicine Racing

You need to disable the closed loop when on the 2 step. Also, you need to put the retard wire on a hobbs switch, and the button and not let it pull any timing until it starts making boost. If you pull timing too soon you cut its balls off and it does not make enough power to get on the converter as quick.

actmobmar likes this.