1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

fel pro,cometic or OEM headgaskets?

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by one eyed willy, Aug 30, 2009.

1. one eyed willy

ive been told more than once,OEM is the way to go. MMR said fel pros where better and i have heard people say that cometic are the way to go.I have OEM now from when i did my build,i have to replace them do to a leak that im getting oil in my coolant from one of the head gaskets.

just wanted to hear opinions.

this is on a 3v

2. Mikes001GT

using Fel Pro here on my TT 2v no problems, Make sure you have all the surfaces nice and clean. :cheers:

3. blown99

OEM or fel pros are all I have ever used with success. I have read somewhere on the net that fel pro makes them for ford. Take that for what it may be worth. Did you find your leak path? Motor apart yet?

4. one eyed willy

no,not yet, there is only one oil port on each head that should have enough pressure to force oil into the coolant,so ill be starting with pulling the heads maybe this weekend.

5. MagicBus

Cant go wrong with Felpro or Ford... both have been proven

6. 99TTGT

I have use all 3 of them & they are all as good...

7. blackonblacksls

deck the heads, or else i bet you will still have the same problem even after head gasket replacement.

8. 99TTGT

Well, I always like to do it right so I resurface the heads & deck the block...<saves you money in the long run>
    With the cometic gaskets ,when you order them you can tell them to make them how you want them ..

9. one eyed willy

heads only have 12k miles on them and never ben over heated,ill check them with a straight blade but i doubt there is anything wrong with them.i will be checking them though.

10. stangman9897

The surface finish needs to be smooth for a good seal. Ford spec's are 3.0 - 3.5 J80 RA . I never put a head on with out sending it to the machine shop for a skim cut to clean up the surface. But thats just me. I Now people that just slap them on and not have a problem just lucky i guess. Im just not a lucky person.

11. one eyed willy

yeah,i may do that this time, i dont want to take any chances

12. one eyed willy