1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Fastest turbo street car

Discussion in 'Racing Scene' started by Crazy Larry, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Crazy Larry

Got a question about this, what is the fastest "real" turbo'd street car holding a record for the 1/4? Not something with headlights and brake lights, but a true driver?

2. turbotater

larson has a few thousand miles on his truck and been 5's at about 250 mph .
    people have been 7's @ 180's on small tires and put miles on them.
    look at drag week cars for reference. you can start putting stipulations on what you view as a true driver and slow down from there

3. Drac0nic

The definition of a street car is largely dependent on who you're hustling at the street races based on what little I've seen in my life. That said, I would have to say it would be in the 8s these days. There's some crazy cars out there right now. I would also think in the hands of an inexperienced driver it would almost certainly lead to death.

turbofreek likes this.
  4. Forcefed86

"Street car" doesn't mean much. It's like saying that cars "fast". There are guys going 8's on true radials at our little track in KS. 7 second "Street cars" aren't uncommon.

turbofreek likes this.
  5. HowlerMonkey

I think you mean quickest.

Fastest street driven car with full interior and A/C is just a few mph short of 300mph in the standing mile.

turbofreek likes this.
  6. turbofreek

hard to say. my car came with no ac, no radio, no amenitys what so ever. yet now it is efi controlled, led lights, soo to be 1800hp give or take a few hundred. yet the backseat will be there, full cage it has but drivable anywhere with just a 3.xx gear and cruise control will be added somewhere along the way once innitial tuning is over with.
    yet the youngins thing it must have power steering and bluetooth with ac to be a street car. many cars never even came with any of those options. even when they where never equiped from the factory. my car was an ecomony shitbox /6 3on the tree no frills A to B only vehicle.

TTF/Ken likes this.
  7. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Crazy insane in a cool way how cars on the streets these days are putting out power only very quick track cars would produce. :)

8. alain

Like turbotater already said, look at Drag Week cars. Larson ran 5.8x but that's not in street trim. He exchanges the doors for lighter versions without mirrors, ditches the radiator, ditches the fuel cell used for street driving and a couple of other things. Tom Bailey runs low 6's in basically the same setup as on the street with Sick 2.0.

My mate from Australia, John Faraone, runs a '72 Valiant Charger that he ships to the US for Drag Week every year. It weighs 4165 pounds and has very little composite material. He ran a 7.21@173 after dropping a rod at about 1000ft just a few weeks ago over in Australia. Quickest time at Drag Week has been 7.43@197.

9. alain

I put together this video in 2014. Wasn't as quick then as it is today (same setup but was still creeping up on the tune), but it shows what kind of car he drives and you can be the judge of whether you agree it's a street car or not. This car is going to see 6's and 200mph+ speeds. It has been 201 mph but on a pass with a lot of wheelspin over the first 300ft so the e.t. wasn't there.

Joey-Telly likes this.
  10. TurboBu

For me if you cannot roll the windows up and have a normal conversation/AC/radio then it is not a true driver legal or not. Also 9.99 and faster requires a full cage which is lethal on the street without a helmet on. So 9.99 ET unless you wear a helmet on the street.

11. Disney Lincoln

Exactly. Most people will mold the term "Street Car" into something that they own. They have never had a car with no AC, 1500hp and daily drivable so they see the no AC and think it's a Pro-Mod. You will never ever get an idea of fastest street car because no two people will every agree on what that car is. So until then, we look at Drag week as the closest thing you can imagine as these are real cars, street driven over thousands of miles and go really quick. If you want a fast street car, aim to be at the top of that list.

12. patl

Imo, whatever passes state inspection.
    Seen lots of so called street cars without mirrors, turn signals, horn or wipers. I had to put cats on my 95truck to pass inspection.
    In my area the cars I would consider street; run mid to low 5's and up in the 8th mile and most of them don't bring a trailer.