1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

megasquirt tuning for turbo 302

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by BreakDancer, Aug 5, 2011.

1. BreakDancer

I'm looking at tuning my turbo 302 with megasquirt. My question is I have a 86 302 that is speed density I have read that megasquirt is also a speed density sysem. So do I need a MAF sensor? What do I need to make this work I'm looking for the most cost effective way to SAFELY tune my engine.

2. mini13

Hello,

Yes MS does speed density (and other types, its changable in the software) you wont need to run a MAF the MS can get the info it needs form a throttle sensor a manifold pressure fitting and an rpm sensor, oh and coolant and mafifold temp sensors. And of course a lambda sensor.

3. BreakDancer

Thank you. I've been reading a lot about tuning its crazy because everything is so open ended there is no one answer for any question. The more I'm learning the more nervous I'm getting LOL. To the people assembling there own ms boards there is a special category of completely insane you fall into. :bow:

4. craig6.9diesel

I did it and I am no genius.... If you can solder and can follow directions you can do it. And I was amazed at how easy it has been to tune. My project is a 89 chevy truck. It started out as a stock tbi 350, Then I put heads and rockers on it and it didnt run right cause it needed tuned. So I megasquirted it. I ran it like that for a couple months. I just put a cam and MPFI intake on it. Thats the cool thing about it. I have a 76mm T6 waiting on me to collect the rest of the parts to finish the project. I am glad I built one myself but when I do the next one I may buy a prebuilt one.... Also I use TunerStudio as my software. Its has a free version or you can buy the full version. Its like 40 bucks but it has the VE Analyzer which will tune clean up your tune.

The nice thing about your mustang is they have the kits for your car. Thats what I would do IMO. If you have any questions about it send me a PM and I will do my best to help you out!

5. Mnlx

Same here....... I built a Ms 2 a few years ago, and have run it on a 3cyl snowmobile, and now its controlling a 302 in an old Ford Ranger.
    support is there if you need it, and look for it.
    Ive been wanting to build another for a 5.3 project, but the ignition control is a bit more complex on those.

6. 73 nova

Built an Ms2 last October. That was one of the easier things ive done with my soldering iron in quite some time. With the Tunerstudio software tuning really does become alot easier.

7. Drac0nic

I'm a Late comer to the thread, but I'll say this:

-Run the Extra code. I had a few problems with the base code.
    -GET THE ADAPTER BOARD. It makes life so much easier. Even if you can't get one that's a direct replacement for your box as long as the connector fits you can probably alter your harnesses pin out to work.
    -As said, don't sweat the lack of MAF. You don't need one and you're better off with out it in this case.
    -When you do other mods like heads (it's got E6es, you're doing heads right?) or a cam or an intake or related porting this makes it super easy to modify.
    -Something cool you may look into is putting EDIS-8 on your engine. The MS should have no trouble working with your stock TFI setup but it's a nice upgrade. Parts shouldn't be too hard to come by since this was an OEM combination on later 5Ls in the trucks/explorers/etc.

8. BreakDancer

Thank you for the responses. I'm going to print this out and research all the suggestions so I can respond intelligently :huh:

DracOnic: The one thing I did understand in your post is the E6 heads. I was planning on reusing them with stiffer valve springs. My power goal is about 400Hp with a Hx35, I'm also using the stock T5 transmission so I will already be pushing my luck. Will the E6's support that? If I do need to change them I will need to get pisons with valve clearance. Now would be the time because the engine is torn down. If the E6 heads will support enough HP to split the block I will keep them.

9. Drac0nic

They will be less of an issue than with out boost but still aren't going to be the best heads for your setup by any means. I'd try to find a set of cheap E7s unless you're attached to em or it's a super budget build. Getting back cut valves in them and some minor grinder work would probably make a pretty decent difference. Then again restrictive heads may be preferred in this case to get 400hp with that small of turbo. (more restrictive=higher boost levels required=less likely to run out of compressor) but I think you'll probably be under turboed to the point of risking the head gaskets. I'd keep the E6es before I kept the HX35 unless I was getting a second one.