1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

FAST with EEC-V piggybacked to run EGR for emissions testing...

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by spud, Jun 9, 2008.

1. spud

I have a 97 Cobra with a 2001 Cobra intake with the EGR, DPFE and EGR solenoid wired to the EEC-V, but the FAST (older version FAST not XFI) is running the engine. Normally I have twin turbos but I'm trying to pass emissions and have failed 2 times already, and so this time I'm going all out. I've installed the stock exhaust and H pipe, put it to n/a and installed stock #24 injectors and have reinstalled the EGR and DPFE and EGR solenoid (had to modify the 97 EGR tube to fit). The DPFE, and EGR solenoid are plugged into the stock computer that is otherwise doing nothing except stopping the PATS light flashing and what I'm hoping is still controlling the EGR..?

First couple times I attempted emissions it failed miserably :bang:. Readings were as follows; HC allowable was .5000 (my read 5.21), CO allowable was 9.32 (mine was 15.80), NOx allowable was 1.24 (mine was 2.047). Readings were so far off I decided to bypass the tubos and hook the stock exhaust back up, install stock injectors and put car as close to stock n/a as possible short of hooking back up the 97 EEC-V which is next if this still doesn't pass next time around. I think most FAST and other stand alone users ditch their stock ECU entirely, but I left mine plugged in. I'm hoping the EEC-V will still run the EGR stuff even though the computer doesn't operate the motor or any other vitals at the moment because all vitals are run by FAST?

Has anyone else tried this? Just hooking up the stock H pipe and exhause ought to lower the emissions dramatically. I have also changed the timing to where it's 20 down low and AFR table to 4.7 across the board and the old nose test tells me it's running much leaner and cleaner..? I'm thinking that if the DPFE is hooked up that it should control the EGR solenoid on it's own..?

Any suggestions, tips, tricks or otherwise? I've heard retarding the timing helps, but I've also heard advancing timing helps? Should I keep the timing at 20 or lower it closer to the base timing of 10 BTDC or should I just set it to where it runs best? I've heard of unplugging one injector from opposite banks to act as an air pump, then run the FAST in open loop so the false lean reading will not mess with the O2 sensors seeing a lean condition (unplugged injector cylinders act as air pumps???). Perhaps I'll try that if the next attempt fails and then the stock EEC-V plugged in also fails?

Thanks for any advice...

Spud

2. Spool4days

In my state, 1997 model year cars are tested soley through the OBD II DLCwithout a dyno. Apparently yours still dynos them, so you may have to do some tuning. Hopefully your car doesn't get plugged in and dynoed, or you might want to buy a sticker ;). I'm pretty sure that high HCs are due to running rich (unburned fuel) or incomplete combustion, and high NOx is from running too high a combustion chamber temp. The cats will take care of the CO emissions, so I wouldn't be concerned with that. I say check your mixtures, keep it near 14.7 : 1 if you have a wideband so that HC and NOx should be in the happy zone. All else fails then yes the factory ECU may be required to operate all emissions related functions.

3. vwdave

Just do what we do here in Miami when we had testing. Pay one of the guys $50 to step on the hose. :D

IIRC, the XFI will run the EGR. (Although you have classic)

4. Otto J

Make a program that will put the timing around 11-12* at the cruise speed they dyno it at.
    In this program change the A/F target table to 15.1 in the same areas
    Go into the Closed loop correction area and make sure it can subtract -25%
    Leave the turbos on as they heat the exhaust which helps also
    If you have an electric fan let hte car run hotter,say turn it on at 190 or so.
    IF you can get a cat in the ex this wil help,but ive gotten many FAST cars
    thru emissions with these steps and no egr,and CT is pretty tough.

On a side not,make this program and carry your laptop to the testing station.
    Drive there on your standard program(save a copyof this)
    change to the emission program in the stations lot.pass,Then load your program back in.

Do not drive the car around on this emission program.

5. turbotrana

Change to EV6 (gen 3) style bosch injectors. They atomise heaps better.

If you have a MSD CD get rid of it and use a high power inductive. I run 18volts to coil inductive and it will burn idle/cruise mixtures very well.

Both these will allow you to lean off the whole map to 14.7, even idle.

Tell us how you go