1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

MS ign problem

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by gt40_5.0, Sep 6, 2006.

1. gt40_5.0

I got the car running today and it sounded like it was running pretty descent. Was trying to get the trigger angle right. Set the the fixed angle to 10 degrees and noticed my timing was jumping around a bit. Thought it might be because i still need to tune on the POT's. Well im looking through spark settings and notice i dont have my spark output set to inverted. its on non-inverted. I switch it to invert and it started to run like bum and died on me after about 30 seconds..im confused cuz how was it running good with the sparkoutput set on non-inverted? I have a 89 mustang with a 302 turbocharged. i am using a locked out distributor with a magnetic pickup (vr sensor in it). I measured the trigger angle to be around 83 degrees and used that to enter in. i think i have read that some people use 60. that sound like too much? what should it be around i couldnt get a good reading with the timing light cuz the timing is jumping around even worse then before with the fixed angle at 10. I dont get it. Using the v3.0 board with msns-e. I have the TSEL to VROUTINV and im using LED17 for spark output to the white wire on the msd 6AL box. duty cycle set to fixed at 50%. does all this sound right? any help would be appreciated. i had it running good with the MS running Fuel only before.

2. botietr

3. NDSP

I'll need to go look at my settings to see the difference. Why didn't you just use the default settings? That is what I did and it runs great. Or did you? Was the timing jumping around when you had it inverted or only when you switched it to non-inverted. Switch it back :huh:

4. botietr

well i got it all figured out and set it back to inverted. I had the VR sensor wires from the distributor mixed up. it idles now and sounds alright. i set the trigger angle today. and set the fixed angle back to -10 to use the MAP. It's wierd when i look at the timing with the timing light, it flashes then skips a flash every second or so. it doesnt seem right. sounds fine when its idling at like 800-900rpms but anything higher than that it doesnt want to go past 1000 and it sounds like its missing. Seems like when i set the trigger angle back to 10 (like u do when ur setting the trigger angle) the timing light doesnt skip flashes. odd....i dont know whats going on lol