1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

FAST 8 injector TBI and Megasquirt?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by silver82GT, Nov 13, 2014.

1. silver82GT

I am thinking about switching from blowthru to injection on my '82 GT. The CDN dollar has gone to hell since the price of oil is dropping making a full on FAST or Holley kit unaffordable at least in the wife's eyes. After reading about how some guys are controlling factory TBI and TPI with a Megasquirt I am wondering if it would run this TBI from FAST?
    FAST throttle body.png #ad

It has 8 74# injectors, TPS, IAT, IAC etc all in one package. I already have a full fuel system so that is not required. To buy this with the full FAST package will be over $5000 up here where as this unit with the Megasquirt will be around $2000 and I don't have to change my coldside, throttle linkage or intake manifold. I only need 750hp to meet my goal and 8 74# injectors should easily handle that.

Engine is an R block 347, TFS R, custom cam, B&G turbokit with a PT88 T4 .96

Any thoughts or experiences will be greatly appreciated as I know nothing about EFI.

Thanks,

Kent

FAST throttle body.png #ad

2. Matt Cramer

While I don't see a problem with using the throttle body with MegaSquirt, I would be concerned about a TBI / turbo combo having fuel distribution issues, leaning out a cylinder under boost, and being damaged by it. I'd rather use multi-port injection for a turbo build. On my slant six, I spent about $600 having an intake reworked for EFI to avoid throttle body injection and considered it well spent; on a SBF, a multi port intake should be a lot easier to get ahold of.

3. TurboNova

It would work with a Megasquirt just fine but I think your numbers posted above are a little off. The Sportsman XFI with that throttle body and harness is about $2500 not $5000 Even with XFI 2.0 it would be about $3700

4. silver82GT

Matt, you posted in another thread about mixture distribution problems on a blown TBI setup. Any info you can give me would be would be very helpful. High boost, low boost, across the board, what engine and intake? I realize my Vic Jr isn't the best for mixture distribution and you probably can't stagger jet like on a carb. All the parts for the TPI conversion are easy to come by, just takes money.

Thanks,

Kent

5. silver82GT

Brian, I was referring to the cost of a full FAST TPI kit which quoted yesterday at $5500 + tax. The low CDN dollar sucks. Thanks for the reply

6. Rip Rock

That almost sounds like you went to JB power Center for a quote?

The ms is a way cheaper alternative imo. However im running an xfi and xim in my mustang. I like the fast system, easy to get going and tune. It was costly when I got it 4years ago. In my supra I'm thinking about getting the ms3 pro. lots of features for the money compared to the other kinds out there. Who's your tuner? When I was running an aem v1 in my supra a lot of tuners wouldn't touch it. I found a very good tuner and isn't picky about systems. So I can venture off and pick what I want. You might want to consult your tuner to see what system he feels comfortable with as well. If it is Toma k, then no worries.

I thought about what you wanted to do several years ago, should work. As Matt pointed out the fuel issues, I found the same research. I used my intake and got some injector bosses. Way cheaper than buying one.

7. Matt Cramer

We have only tested TBI fuel distribution on a naturally aspirated motor as the results were bad enough we did not think that it would be a good idea to go turbo. Distribution was pretty bad across the board.

Our in house testing was done on a stock '70s era 350; I believe it was using an Edelbrock Performer intake. We tried with both a GM TBI on a Trans-Dapt adapter and both a Holley two and four barrel Pro-Jection type TBI; none of them gave good results. I've seen other engine combinations with other TBIs dyno tested with individual EGT probes and the results have been uniformly bad. You MIGHT get OK results if you took the time to rework the intake with fuel grooves and dams in the plenum, but it doesn't seem worth it to me.

TBIs were something the OEMs put together as a cheap and easy stop-gap measure to get some of the benefits of EFI on the cheap. And in the aftermarket, they should stay in the same niche. I've only seen one OEM application that used a turbo and TBI from the factory; that would be the Mitsubishi Starion. And those guys often import multi-port intakes to ditch their TBIs.

8. silver82GT

Thanks for the info Matt. I will look at going with a port injection or just beating on my poor carb some more.

Rip Rock, thanks for the chuckle. I have a JBs about 4 blocks from my house and I haven't been in there since I went and asked them for a transmission blanket and every employee said "What is a transmission blanket?" They are fine if you are looking for seat covers or HID headlights, otherwise.......

lisaturbo - I already have a several turbos and they were not made in China thanks.

Kent

9. TTF/Ken Staff Member

"Lisa" is a spammer and has been banned. Cleaning up her mess now, she's posted her crap all over the forums.

10. Rip Rock

Lol, your right or diesel exhaust. I briefly worked there in the calgary place for 3 days. 3 days too much. They are "cake decorators".

If your not fixed on getting new parts, I got some and can get other parts as well. I'll give you a pm.

11. Strictly Attitude

Do some homework and build your own injection system start with your fuel system first. I am going through it right now. It can be done on a budget just no getting around some costs like injectors. Build a MS or start hunting ebay. Stand alone ecu's are not as hot sellers as full systems. Look for not as common ones but still have allot features. You would be surprised what you might find.