1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Fairmont - biggest rear wheel?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by GASOLINE, Mar 20, 2007.

1. GASOLINE

Hi,

I am hoping someone has gone down this road and can tell me what works best or what they have managed to stuff in the wheelwells. I would like to fit a 15" x 9" with 5.5 BS? or is 8" as big I can go with what BS to center them?

Car is a '79 Fairmont with an 8.8 and the 5 lug axle swap and stock/trimmed rear wheelwells.

Thanks for the help.

T

2. blackandtan

I have a good freind with a mont, he is running telstars 15x8. I am not sure about the back spacing but I think its five,275/60. fit real well. I dont know which side you would want to put the extra inch of a 9, and it not rub.

3. quarterstang86

I don't know if a Fairmont/Zepher body really has much more room than a mustang. I own a 1980 and have fit a set of 15x8 with 5.5BS Welds under it with 275/60 Radials. I don't have any pics at the moment because I want to lower the car even more in the back to get the ass end out of the air due to the taller tire. The front is already lowered.. anyhow..

check out Brians 'mont

https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=71822.20

I would imagine you might have to cut the fender if you run the 15x9's. Those will put the tire out further which could potentially be a problem w/o doing any body mods. Several people have slightly (carefully) flared the wheel wells, that you might be able to get away with. It would look sinister on a 9" rim though. But at what cost?

4. yan88gt

I didn't see it in by myself, but i just bought a set of 15"x10"weld wheel's from a guy and it was on fairmont. The wheel's came with a set of junk 28"x11" goodyear slick.