1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

factory dual plane intake ok?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Bald Menace, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Bald Menace

i'm using an engine for my Turbo project that has zero aftermarket intakes available and the stock 4 barrel is a one year only item and VERY hard to find, however I did find one and i'm wondering if it's going to be ok in this scenario. the plan is aprox 6-10 psi and 6k rpm max. gonna run a Holley sniper system with timing control as well.

the engine is a Buick 300 V8 which just happens to be essentially a GN engine with 2 extra cylinders. the initial setup will be with stock heads and intake but once I get it up and running and feel comfortable that all the bugs are worked out I will swap to a set of aftermarket aluminum heads and a professionally fabbed intake.

300 intake side view.jpg #ad
    300 intake top view.jpg #ad

2. 91turboterror

Aftermarket single planes are available for the Buick 300 v8 . Seems more popular in England.

3. Bald Menace

no they aren't, the only aftermarket intakes available for that engine platform (215, 300 and 340) are for Rover and 215 V8. both of those have far shorter deck heights and would require spacers and valley pan fabrication, but that still would not solve the small port size those intakes have. I am a member of the british V8 forum and this has been discussed in depth there for several years. NOBODY makes an intake that fits 300-340 Buick V8

4. Disney Lincoln

convert that intake to port EFI? I don't like it's chanes using it carb or TB EFI. But it it only has to flow air and you inject into the port, then it will probably work.

5. 91turboterror

I guess not then. The stock intake isn’t the best design . That can cause distribution problems and an early demise of your engine. Since it’s not popular your best be may be to fab an intake with port injection and front entry
    Throttle body and see what that Buick 300 will do with a good intake. There’s a good topic on intake design on here very informative.

Bald Menace likes this.