1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Help with brakes

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by ncrincon, Sep 13, 2015.

1. ncrincon

I'm not a brake expert at all and am trying to learn all that I can I have been reading and researching and just can't seem to find the right answer, I have a 89 fox body I changed to Manuel brakes using the MM kit the car has factory 4 cylinder brakes front disc read drum I'm looking at buying brakes from someone that will make my car all wheel disc brakes the brake are from a sn95 and have the pbr calipers from the 99+ mustangs my question is what bore size master cylinder do I need right now my brakes don't feel right with what I have so I'm hoping this will help a lot I believe I have gave enough information if not feel free to ask.

Thanks for all the help in advance everyone on here is very knowledgable I get on here and read every night and learn some thing new .
    Thanks, Nathan

2. turboeverything

Which master cylinder are you using now? also what about the brakes after going manual feels unusual?

3. ncrincon

The factory MC that came on well it's a new one bought from local parts store but it's a factory MC for 89 mustang 4 cylinder and the brake pedal has to be pushed a long ways before it feels like anything is happening it feels very soft I sometimes feel like like not going to stop

4. ncrincon

Anyone have any suggestions that could help me
    Thanks

5. Hemann

It sounds like they need to be bleed. Did you bench bleed the MC before installing?

6. devo9er

I agree, sounds like air in the lines if theyre real spongy. Its been several years since I switched to the sn95 5 lug setup in my '90. Its a fairly easy swap but several things you'll need to do. Fox body and sn95 fittings are different threads metric vs standard so youll need to flair and run some new lines. The proportioning valve is different and needs to be switched to a sn95 style or aftermarket adjustable if running rear discs vs drums. Youll need the rear brake brackets for the disc setup too and youll have to cut out a section to get them to mount on the fox axle tube. The ebrake cable will have to be switched/modified. There are a bunch of decent threads on the subject in some of the mustang sites. I bought a junker '96 car and did a side by side swap.

7. ncrincon

I had power brakes and changed to Manuel and kept same master cylinder I figured it would work just fine. The brakes on the car right now are 4 cylinder brakes could that be my problem why they feel so bad because the brakes are so small