1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

F.A.S.T. wideband rpm problems

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by H.P.Ranch, Jul 30, 2013.

1. H.P.Ranch

I'm having trouble with my FAST wb displaying the wrong rpm's, I keep pushing the calibrate button when tach and computer say 1100 wb says 1100 also. Problem is when I rev engine to 3k wb says 4.2k. This wrong info is useless, I have tach wire on msd tach output. Is anyone eles having problems like this? Meanwhile I've sent wb back to FAST for inspection they recieved on 7-26-13.

2. NOSLO86

I have had the same problem. Sent RPM Module back to F.A.S.T. and they sent me a new one --- guess what
    same problem. The A/F meter works fine --- it's the RPM Module that is junk. I just purchased an LM-2 and
    its seems to read RPM just fine. I still need more time to test with it --- but so far so good. The F.A.S.T. RPM
    Module is junk.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. H.P.Ranch

Well just got off the phone with FAST talked to Eric Thompson "he was taking care of return" he said technician could not find any problems with my rpm module, they hooked up handheld device that simulates engine being hooked up to box and everything was fine even in upper rpm's. He said I may be getting interference from electronics that he is sending back to me today what should I do? I just want it fixed so I can use it. I just called Eric back and ask if they could actually put it on someones car there to see if it works he said he was going to talk to the warrenty man and call me back. If he warrenty's it great but please make sure the replacement works before shipping, is this asking to much?

4. H.P.Ranch

Never got call back yet, anyone work at "Comp Cams or FAST" or know someone that works there? You would think someone that works there would have a wb on there car with the rpm installed. I ask if someone could video rpm function working and send via Iphone but said no one there could do that. I believe Eric is really trying to help me but his hands are tied and just the middle man. FAST will not let you talk to the techs, I can see that but this is a little diffferent case. I guess I'll just have to hurry up and wait.:sad:

5. NOSLO86

I went trough the same BS. I hope yours works when you get it back (don't be surprized if it doesn't).
    Comp needs to figure this out.

6. H.P.Ranch

Called Eric back today cause I hadn't heard from him, had to leave message then he did call me back. Eric told me that he sent it out yesterday and I should be getting it tomorrow. He said no problems were found, but didn't get to actually hook up to a running engine to verify no problems before sending back to me. I'm going to try different install location to try and give FAST the benefit of the doubt. They keep saying noise interference. I guess we will see.

7. H.P.Ranch

Well I got the box back friday 8-2-13 and installed today, and rpm's are still off as rpm's increase. Called back talked to David the mgn. he had me talk to Brian Pitcher and is having me send it back again. I explained this is hooked up to MSD 6010 ign. They said they would hook up to dyno engine before sending back this time. I even pulled box outside drivers window as far as cord would reach and still had problem " checking for interference". I got another RMA number and going to send back again "DEEP BREATH". I'm trying to do the right thing, now let's see if COMP, FAST will do the right thing. Think positive, think positive, think positive.:help:

8. NOSLO86

I unplugged the FAST and hooked the LM-2 to the same tach wire the FAST was hooked to and the LM-2 read RPM perfectly.

9. H.P.Ranch

Update: Called Comp Cams "FAST" 8-9-13 said they recieved wb on 8-8-13 and hadden had time to look at that they would call me when they had. Ok I call back today 8-13-13 talk to Brian Pitcher " the same guy you have to go through when you send something back" I give him the RMA number he says hold on let me check on that. Thirty seconds later he comes back on the phone and tells me he checked with the Tech and that they had been on vacation and had just returned to work today and had not had a chance to look at the FAST WB box I had sent back for the second time, but he would call me when they found out something he assured me. How do these people stay in business? You would think they would have more than 1 person able to test or make repairs to returns. I'm being nice and quiet about this I just have to get on here and vent a little.:upset:

10. H.P.Ranch

New update: They said they tested wb and there was a problem, don't know what it was but they are taking care of me. They are sending me a new one under warrenty. One thing they ask me to do this time is when calibrating rpm module is to rev engine to 3500rpm's then hit the calibrate button until rpms read correct that the multispark from using the MSD at low rpms could be causing it not to read correctly. So my thanks go out to all the guys at COMP CAMS "FAST" for doing the right thing and taking care of the customer I will continue to use your products.:2thumbs:

11. H.P.Ranch

NOSLO86 you were right as bad I hate to say so. I tried the replacement and had the same results as I did with the first one, not a happy camper here. I hope others will learn from this, do your research before buying a product and call and see what kind of customer service you will get aka hold time, questions answered without having to go through a middleman. I just thought a company as big as COMP CAMS F.A.S.T. would have a better product than this or would have tried retrofit to repair problem. I went to the CPG Nation forum and couldn't believe what I was reading. Yes all of those that take the time to post are the one's having trouble and you don't here from the ones that are working. Lesson learned is listen to your fellow Turboforum members that have been down that road before and are trying to help you.:cheers:

12. NOSLO86

I feel your pain --- I can't believe that F.A.S.T. doesn't have anyone smart enough to fix this problem --- they
    need to stop selling the RPM Module.