1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

New to the boost world

Discussion in 'Carburetor + Boost Tech Questions' started by Pakito Jonson, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Pakito Jonson

Hi everyone , im new to this site .
    Im Pakito Jonson but you all can call me Paco , im building a 5.0 that is going to be supercharged
    with a Powerdyne BD-11a @ 9psi and is going to be carburated...
    First i go with what i had done to the motor so far ,
    -main bearings
    -rod bearings
    -piston rings
    -oil pump
    -cam bearings
    -timing chane and gears
    - steeda 19 cam for supercharged app
    -gt-40x aluminum heads
    -liffters /ford racing..........
    Now also want to say that the rockers are the factory ones because the cam its under 500on the lift so im ok on that and i wanted to be that way anyway..
    I never done this before so i dont want to do it the wrong way , im not sure what intake i should go with and the carb too. I need some help on that note..
    The ignition its all MSD ........
    A few questions ....
    What intake is the best for my set up?
    What carb its the best for my set up ?
    If i buy a carb boost ready where should i look to get one ?
    If i buy a regular carb what brand it be the best and what size i should get to go with my set up?
    Is it hard to change a regular carb to a boost carb , what kind of carb?
    And for last i have a holly blue fuel fump < is that pump good for the set up or not ?
    Like i said im new to this boost thing with a carb so i have tons of questions ...
    Im going to drive the car all the time so kinda want to do good with fuel too, i maybe ask to much but like i said im new to this.
    So i guess now all of you know where i am ........... Pakito Jonson....

2. 68mustang

single plane intake is the best, more equal fuel distribution, but i have run 11.2@124 with a low rise dual plane

a mechanical secondary carb is best, you can buy them from several companies that are already to bolt on and take boost, like csu carb shop. ask around on the forums here and youll get some favorites.

or you can do like i did and many others have, and build your own. just buy a Holley carb and do the hangar18 mods found on this site(use the search button to find specific info)

for you car a 650 Holley is plenty, with boost you dont need a bigger carb because the blower forces more through the carb

you can run a mechanical fuel pump if you want or go with an electrical but just realize that for every pound of boost your fuel pressure must increase the same. fuel pressure must always be more the boost pressure otherwise the fuel enter the carb. now some electric pumps, like your holley blue, will only allow so much pressure and then they bypass or something. I dont believe that pump will work for you, but do a search and youll find plenty of info.

go up to the top of the page and click on the 'knowledge base' tab, itll give you lots of stuff to read, if you get stuck ask a question

3. whiteghost

Use the green search button and you'll find many answers to these questions.

the holley blue is not good for boost
    As far a carbs go, if you want to bolt one on and go, look at c&s or csu. Others have had success with the Demon blow-throughs (myself included) but they will need some modifications to run really well. If you don't mind pulling the a carb apart and modifying it internally, use a used holley double pumper mechanical secondary. It is not hard to convert one, but if you doubt your abilities, go with a proven company. You'll need a fuel pressure regulator that can be boost referenced and you'll also need to have a larger carb fuel return line (to the tank) than your feed line to ensure that your fuel pressure can return to normal when not in boost.

4. Pakito Jonson

Thank , i will look into all that .
    And again thanks , Pakito Jonson........