1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cant get rid of rich idle.

Discussion in 'Carburetor + Boost Tech Questions' started by 86sspcoupe, Sep 23, 2007.

1. 86sspcoupe

hey guys its not a bt carb but I need some help.I dont have a wb02 for tuning so I am going off the plugs for now.The plugs foul out in 20 minutes of idle.It is a holley 750hp #80528-2.It has a .033 ifr,right now the PV's are blocked off to eliminate them as a source of extra fuel.The main jetting is 64 all the way around just for testing purposes.The IAB is .075 and the HSAB is .035 the mixture screws are out about 3 turns out for most vacuum(8-9) and best idle @1000rpm.This is what I have done so far trying to cure the problem.Installed a .013 wire in the Ifr to reduce the amount of fuel in the idle circuit
    swapped the the air bleeds so the the iab is .035 and the hsab is .080.that allowed me to bring the mixture screws in to 3/4 turns out
    the motor seems to like this and yet the idle is still burning the eyes.the plugs are black and full of soot.If anyone has any input please post up,I am at my witts end with this carb.thanks,scott

2. Pontiac4ever

Check this out.....lots of great carb tuning info. I'm confused as to why you put a smaller idle air bleed in it? That will make it richer. How far are your throttle blades open? They should be set so you only have a minimum amount of idle transfer slot showing....should look like a square from under the carb. No fuel should be coming from the boosters at idle......

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/carb-central.php

Good luck.
    Craig

3. 86sspcoupe

I flopped the air bleeds becaus I am running out of things to try.It allowed me to close the throttle plates so I had the correct transfer slot showing.It also allowed me to close the idle mixture screws to 3/4 of a turn out.I have a post there and I have been reading as much as i can but I dont see anything close enough to point me in the right direction.Thanks for the response,Scott

4. kirkallen143

Why don't you go back in the direction of stock settings or close to it. Leave the IAB's around 0.070" to 0.075", I wouldn't go anything over 0.080", it may have a reverse affect. Take the HSAB back to 0.035", they control when your mains come in, shifting the fuel curve in the upper rpms & not the idle circuit. Try and keep the IFR's around 0.028", add another wire in there and see what it does, you just might like it.

Kirk

5. OLDHEAD

SCOTT...I don't know how I help..............But I would start by installing the hottest plug I could find.....I use to run in NHRA's stock classes and use the hottest plugs that would fit in the hole....Why do you idle for 20 minutes?......Best to PM me :) :) :) :)OLDHEAD...Ps; I know a lot of guys using HP carbs. with no problems,so the bleeds should be right...Are you sure its not flooding????

6. jpicc

Good info, Thanks.