1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

exhaust wrap any good?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Remco R, Aug 3, 2023.

1. Remco R

2. sam51

I used a combo of Chinese wrap (Ebay) and some DEI, the DEI's weave was tighter and was a way better quality, if I ever redo the wrapping I'll swap out to all DEI. I can't say much about under hood temps because I'm using remote mount turbo and used the wrap to keep the heat in the pipes.

Remco R likes this.
  3. 91turboterror

I used DEI from day one so I can’t give you a before and after. The wrap plus my cobra R hood under hood temps seem ok nothing melting after a few years

Remco R likes this.
  4. B E N

It helps, the metal backed thermal blanket materials work well too. If you use wrap the spray on sealer is a good idea.

Remco R likes this.
  5. Pro-SC

I should take a pic of the DEI wrap I put on my f150 a couple of years ago, still holding up nice even with winter driving. The ceramic spray they sell works well also. I picked up the sbf starter wrap they sell too for my current build, looks like a great piece.

6. F4K

I Used DEI titanium wrap in 2017 for a turbo V8 project.

It holds up fine if you do not disturb it. Works as intended. Try not to get it wet as it may hold water and contribute rust to the pipe underneath.

You should be aware of some associated properties however
    1. If you touch it with bare skin, you will itch for a day or two. Its basically fiber glass will enter your pores it seems.
    2. It tends to flake little bits of crystalline wrap materials all over the place over time. You can wipe or off or blow it out of the bay I guess.
    3. Over time those little bits of wrap, very tiny bits, seem to collect around the vehicle. I went under the vehicle to do an oil change and inspection and came out itching like crazy even though I did not touch the wrap, the car sat in the same place too long I guess.

I recommend if you can ceramic coat and shield instead of wrap, that would be better. I still needed shields over the wrap anyways to maintain proper temperatures underhood and on the engine components.